Getting the right set of strings for an Epi Viola Bass

What's Hot
althyalthy Frets: 92
Hello, I am looking for a medium scale set of strings that wound be good for D Standard tuning ( DGCF)

My bass is an Epiphone Viola and I have my eyes on the Labella black nylon .60/ .115 but I have read that these are actually lighter than their gauge suggests du to being flatwound? 

Also the E-string being 115 will that make it more difficult to fit into the tailpiece without filing it?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    They are lighter than the gauges would suggest, because nylon is much less dense than steel.

I fitted a set to a violin bass copy recently and had to do a bit of work on the nut grooves to get them to fit, but the tailpiece was fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    Thanks! Do you reckon they would be suitable for d-standard?
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Rotosound Trubass are supposed to be what McCartney used on his Hofner ...the roof top gig and Abbey Road. Decent tension should stand D tuning, Hofner 500/1 needs medium scale not sure about Epi
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    althy said:
    Thanks! Do you reckon they would be suitable for d-standard?
    I don't see why not. The tension is only a bit lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    Great. In doubt I went for the FM M. They are stainless steel flats, they should do the trick 
    Thanks for the input :)