help with making a pickguard

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
edited August 2020 in Making & Modding
I want to make a new pickguard for this so I can mount some new pickups whilst still keeping the original in tact

the body is routed for two pickups already so it lends itself to a bit of experimentation without doing any non reversible modifications.

Can I get good results by cutting out a pickguard from a blank directly or is a template the best way to go.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    In my experience it's very difficult to get a really good result without using a router and a template, especially if you want the edge bevelled to factory standard. It can be done, but it's going to take an enormous amount of care and time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited August 2020
    poopot said:
    that would be my fist choice to. but my pickups look like this

but I was not aware you could buy pickguards in the UK. Thanks they still might be useful

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Jacks Instrument Services will cut whatever you want. 

https://jacksinstrumentservices.com/
    edited August 2020
    poopot said:

so with one of these I could turn it into a special without any problems

I also believe a mini humbucker will fit into the P90 route is that correct?

and could I just open up a p90 hole to fit a full size humbucker?

I thought over time I could make up 2 or 3 pickguards that I can swap in and out as the mood takes me
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    phil_b said:
    that would be my fist choice
    Stop that right now! ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    phil_b said:
    poopot said:

so with one of these I could turn it into a special without any problems

I also believe a mini humbucker will fit into the P90 route is that correct?

and could I just open up a p90 hole to fit a full size humbucker?

I thought over time I could make up 2 or 3 pickguards that I can swap in and out as the mood takes me
    If you want to make two or three or four etc I would use your existing guard and make an mdf template... you can then either router your own or send the template off to one of the pickguard makers on here...

what is the second route in the body? P90?
    poopot said:

what is the second route in the body? P90?
    yes

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Those are amazingly crude-looking humbucker routs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Fairly sure its the stain making them look rougher than they actually are
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Add up the parts you maybe don’t already have. Then the time and materials needed to make a template. After that, add more time to the job and allow for non repairable mistakes. For a one off I’d pay for a pro to do it.

If you’re wanting to have some fun then get a router, template bit, MDF, Perspex and plastic for the pickguard itself. Watch your fingers and enjoy every second shouting “FOR FUCK SAKE” whenever the router takes an ugly chunk out of the last few inches of your otherwise immaculate and well cut pickguard :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It goes without saying that having a router table is necessity if you're going the DIY route (...no pun...). You can make one yourself pretty easily, it doesn't have to be fancy. I'd start with tracing the existing pickgard onto a piece of 1/4" mdf, cutting that roughly, sticking the pickgard on top with the bevel down, then taking it to the router table with a pattern bit with the bearing at the bottom. You're essentially using the PG as a template. You have to be really careful doing that, because you only have the tip of the bevel to guide your piece. If your bearing seizes, there's a chance it's melt your pickguard. You can do the same thing with the existing pickup route.

Once you've done that, you only have to use the existing screw holes to get a template you can use to make perfect replicas of the original. The one annoying part is finding the center line, but you can use the first pickup route, calipers and a square. Won't be 100% precise, but there is quite a bit of tolerance with pickup routes. You can then add the route for the second pickup with the proper template.

All in all, it's feasible...If you have the right tools. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper/safer to buy it, as the others said. :)
    edited August 2020
    Add up the parts you maybe don’t already have. Then the time and materials needed to make a template. After that, add more time to the job and allow for non repairable mistakes. For a one off I’d pay for a pro to do it.

If you’re wanting to have some fun then get a router, template bit, MDF, Perspex and plastic for the pickguard itself. Watch your fingers and enjoy every second shouting “FOR FUCK SAKE” whenever the router takes an ugly chunk out of the last few inches of your otherwise immaculate and well cut pickguard D
    I actually quite enjoy making my own stuff well I used to. My current job means spare time is in short supply but this project is just a bit of fun and experimentation rather than an attempt to build a nice guitar. I am fairly confident I could make my own to a good enough standard but I know it will take a long time probably too long
    edited August 2020
    I have ended up with a bit of a half way house.
    I ordered a pickguard to the original pattern but without any pick up hole cut and I will do that part myself. it sort of worked out easier to order that way as I did not need to supply templates or drawings
    So my next question is about pick up selection.

I plan on fitting two pickups on in the neck and one in the bridge as per the layout of the special version of this guitar.

I have a set of 3 Burns tri sonic pickups labelled neck middle and bridge. should I just use the neck and bridge or should I use the RPRW middle pickup in one of the positions
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    I'd use bridge and the middle as the neck pickup. That way you should get hum cancelling when in the middle position on the switch (I think - hopefully someone will confirm)
    my pickguard arrived from WD music and today I got it wired up and fitted to the guitar. I quite like the look of it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Wow, that's really nice. How did you cut the pickup holes in the end?
    mikem8634 said:

I screwed my small router to a bit of MDF to make myself a make shift router table and made a template from a bit of scrap ply wood. It did not cut perfectly. I think I let the bit get to hot on the second cut and the template was hand cut so not perfect in the first place. but once mounted to the guitar you can not see it is not exactly straight. I think it being a black guard helps
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    phil_b said:
    mikem8634 said:

I screwed my small router to a bit of MDF to make myself a make shift router table and made a template from a bit of scrap ply wood. It did not cut perfectly. I think I let the bit get to hot on the second cut and the template was hand cut so not perfect in the first place. but once mounted to the guitar you can not see it is not exactly straight. I think it being a black guard helps

Top work, well done. I love stuff that takes something familiar and offers a fresh take on it.