EBMM Lukes - tell me about them and your experiences

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
As mentioned on another post, I've really liked the several EBMM's I've tried (Axis, Albert Lee's, Luke's and Silhouettes) and they've all played and sounded so good. In particular, the rosewood neck, HH version Albert Lee a friend has is sublime and it would be a great fit if it wasn't for the offset body shape, which I'm not a fan of.

Being a big Lukather and Superstrat fan, I'm leaning towards one of the Luke models being my next guitar but there are so few around to try in shops and I'm interested in HSS Luke II's and HH Luke III's.

@Welshboyo has been kind enough to furnish me with great info on the different models, pickups and necks and I wondered if any past or present owners could tell me their thoughts on these, too, and I know  some people find the necks a wee bit small.

For those interested in the Luke III's, there are new finishes out and there's also pickup change from Dimarzio Transitions to EBMM's own brand - the Transitions were touted as Medium Output. The new ones are shown as High Output.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 892
    edited August 2020
    I’m actually borrowing an HSS Luke 2 right now. Fabulous thing - neck is a bit narrower than I’m used to, but I dare say I could adjust.

edit: I think it’s a Luke 3 actually, as it has the Transition bridge pickup.
  • The Luke 2 is a great guitar. The only divisive thing with them seems to be the EMG’s. No one ever seems to complain about the playability and build quality. 

The EMG’s sound fat but clear if that makes sense.

I’m actually after a Luke 3 HSS at the moment. Trying to sell my PRS to fund the purchase.
  • The only bit on the spec sheet I don’t like is the smallish frets.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited August 2020
    Love the Luke 3 I played. I'm not normally into this sort of guitar at all but it just played so well and sounds great to me. Been tempted by the Sterling version in HH.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    edited August 2020
    I really like my Luke II. 

I've gigged it quite a bit, always been happy with the sound and how it plays. 
    I'm a fan of EMGs anyway, so don't mind them. 

Balances nicely on a strap and it's like a sucked sweet, the body shape is very comfy.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Great comments so far and thanks.

I spoke to Strings and Things (UK distributor) and there aren't a lot of Lukes around at the minute/in the UK.

I've never had EMGs but the Luke II's I've played sounded fine to me and they suited the cleans I like.

Based on the Albert Lee I tried, I really like the rosewood neck and I think they can be found on the early Luke IIIs but I just wish there was somewhere to try them close by (I note Andertons have a III).

With regard to the Sterling LK100s, generally, I've heard good things about them apart from the pickups and on forums I've seen that people have swapped them out for either Dimarzio Transitions or a preferred pickup and that's been a game changer and elevated the guitar.

Keep the comments coming, especially on the sounds and neck width.

Thanks
  • Project music have a Luke 2 in their pre-owned section and also a Luke 3 HH & HSS in stock.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    I have quite small hands and usually don't enjoy playing 25.5" scale guitars, but the narrower neck width actually seemed to make it a lot more accessible for me and things didn't feel as much of a stretch or effort as they normally do on a longer scale length. Re the tone. Last time I used one we were also recording with a Les Paul which is usually my go-to. I much preferred the sound when we switched to the Luke, still thick and powerful but with way more definition in the low end and not so "congested" sounding. Could have just been the LP pickups though but as I'm usually a Gibson-only player it certainly opened my eyes a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    I’ve got one. It’s amazing. Beautiful build, effortless to play, super light, really ergonomic and sounds glorious. Honestly, one of the best axes out there.
    Dan_Halen said:
    I’ve got one. It’s amazing. Beautiful build, effortless to play, super light, really ergonomic and sounds glorious. Honestly, one of the best axes out there.
    Which model/version and pickup configuration?
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    Had a bunch of Luke II's and LIIIs over the years. Great guitars that play effortlessly and refuse to go out of tune. The neck is one of EBMMs smaller profiles, but it is very tactile and fast.

I moved away from them when I went more traditional and vintagey but would happily own one again if I needed a hotrod of a guitar again. As I said on the Axis thread, the BFRs aren't worth the upcharge in my opinion, the standard models lose nothing to their pricier cousins.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Have heard a rumour that the mahogany “Tumescent” limited edition they did a few years back has bigger fretwire than all the others. Should probably be verified though!
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Kebabkid said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Which model/version and pickup configuration?
    Luke 3 with HH. Got a load of guitars that I love and wouldn’t sell but, if they all got nicked, probably wouldn’t replace like for like. Except for the Luke which I’d buy another right away.

There’s the other thread going on at the moment about Teles being the most versatile guitar ever but I’d take one of these all day long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 323
    Music Street have a couple of HH Luke 3's in stock
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Kebabkid said:

I spoke to Strings and Things (UK distributor) and there aren't a lot of Lukes around at the minute/in the UK.

I've never had EMGs but the Luke II's I've played sounded fine to me and they suited the cleans I like.

Based on the Albert Lee I tried, I really like the rosewood neck and I think they can be found on the early Luke IIIs but I just wish there was somewhere to try them close by (I note Andertons have a III).

With regard to the Sterling LK100s, generally, I've heard good things about them apart from the pickups and on forums I've seen that people have swapped them out for either Dimarzio Transitions or a preferred pickup and that's been a game changer and elevated the guitar.

Thanks
    Cos, the LK100D (if you can find one) comes with the Transitions as standard.
  • welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:

Thanks
    Isn’t there something weird about the wiring in the Sterling version? Something about the in-between sounds being in parallel or series. Can’t remember which it is but it’s not conventional and isn’t the same as the full fat Music Man.
    edited August 2020
    welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:

Thanks
    Thanks Wayne and I didn't know the LK100D had the Transitions - the LK100 has the Sterling ones - interesting

EDIT:To add to the above, the LK100 has a roasted maple neck w/ rosewood board, while the LK100D has a plain maple neck
    w/ rosewood board.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    Not quite the models you are looking for but I have two EBMMs - a JP6 and a BFR Cutlass. In both cases the quality of these things is really top drawer. I love the fretboard feel and the necks. You did mention super Strat and I would have to say - consider the Cutlass! Mine is an SSS, but there are other configurations of course. I am a Strat man, and for years my real go-to has been my Fender American deluxe, but the Cutlass out strats a strat IMHO. Truly stunning guitar which is impossible to put down. 

Also, try the EBMM Forum. The depth of knowledge there is truly huge and it’s a friendly place.
    @Bill_S - I've seen the Cutlass and I like the tones. Neal Schon was playing them in his daily vids and it would be the HSS that I'd like to audition but I'm surprised at the price. I like the Sabre, too.
  • welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:

Thanks
    Isn’t there something weird about the wiring in the Sterling version? Something about the in-between sounds being in parallel or series. Can’t remember which it is but it’s not conventional and isn’t the same as the full fat Music Man.
    Just looked it up and the neck pickup is wired in parallel rather than series which is a bit weird.