Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lo-Fi Warbly Modulation (for someone who doesn’t like modulation that much)

What's Hot

Comments

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited August 2020
    ICBM said:
    Boss BF-2
    Robin Guthrie used a BF-2 in the early days but he admitted that his was broke and would oscillate wildly so he probably wasn't using it for it's stock sound. I never found my BF-2 to be good for a Cocteaus kind of sound. 

If you want a flanger look at an old Pearl FG-01. I used to have 2 for a stereo setup in the mid 80's and I found it much nicer.

Guthrie used Boss Vibrato, VB-2 on everything. Also a Roland Dimension D (rack mount) and Polychorus in the early days but he still used the Dimension D on later recordings.

Guthries chorus sound wasn't like a typical chorus. 
    Have a look at a Boss Dimension DC3 which gives the kind of spread you may want - don't buy one though because I'm looking for one as well ;-) That will get you somewhere near Cocteaus chorus sound but also Geordie Walker (Killing Joke) - my 2 favourite guitarists.
     A Dimension C DC2 simply isn't up to the job. I have a DC 2 pedal and the Dimension C in the Boss MD500 and the dimension setting in the Helix and they just don't get there, for me.

Zcat Polyoctaver is another great 'cocteaus' in a box which I'm still looking for.

Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl is literally Boards Of Canada in a box.

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The GFI will do all that and mix two algorithms if required so you can a dimension C type sound and add lofi/warped.
    These do look amazing, though I came to the conclusion that it might be overkill for my needs. How’s the sound quality?
  • very good across all algos - plenty of good video demos now too - one chap has done most of them
  • One of the Chase Bliss versions of the CooperFX Generation Loss would be amazing...
  • very good across all algos - plenty of good video demos now too - one chap has done most of them
    It is digital rather than analogue, but I’m terms of quality than doesn’t seem to matter these days. And I see the Synesthesia has a LoFi style algorithm added to it... if I’m thinking of dropping ££ for a Warped Vinyl, then it may be worth trying the Synesthesia.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I love the Demedash pedal - that one that looks like a VHS tape - and he's got a non-delay version coming that will bring the warble.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited August 2020
    VJIves said:
    I love the Demedash pedal - that one that looks like a VHS tape - and he's got a non-delay version coming that will bring the warble.
    Looks like the T60 analogue modulator here:

https://www.demedasheffects.com/

With the compression elements it looks like an ILF but with the option for your chorus to sound more hifi.
  • jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
    Funnily enough I was just mucking around with this sound, did a little (messy) recording for you. Julia + The Accountant. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i4k02tnj62o79g/julia, accountant.mp3?dl=0
  • Funnily enough I was just mucking around with this sound, did a little (messy) recording for you. Julia + The Accountant. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i4k02tnj62o79g/julia, accountant.mp3?dl=0
    Sounds great, Jack, thank you for that. Used to have an Accountant and it’s a superb wee pedal. Vibrato on the Julia sounds great.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
    One of the Chase Bliss versions of the CooperFX Generation Loss would be amazing...
    I’d love one of those. Bloody pricey now though. 

Have you seen Cooper FX Arcade? They do a Gen Los card. Tempted myself as the lofi one sounds good too and the synth one
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I use the strymon mobius for that warped vinyl sound. You can hear it and many other pedals do the vinyl sound here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited September 2020
    Still in several minds about this. I really don’t use modulation that much, so could go for the GFI Synesthesia or get another Mobius (so get a range of different effects for occasional use) or stick to a single effect, something more eccentric like the Shallow Water, Warped Vinyl or Moog MF Chorus.
  • My suggestion is the Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator pedal. Rotate the Source control fully anti-clockwise and enjoy pick sensitive modulation - similar to the MicMix Dynaflanger favoured by Frank Zappa.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Oh, the guitarist from Caspian uses his Strymon El Cap exclusively for Lofi warble - he did a recent Rig Rundown and it was great. Really nice setting on the El Cap which he doesn't change. 

It's on my list now, although I am enjoying the Lofi warble of the Boss CE-3 thanks to the suggestion from @ICBM ;
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited September 2020
    I was after a LoFi Junky at one point but then I got a Jam Pedals Waterfall (chorus/vibrato) and that get's that nice lo-fi texture warbly sound superbly. Walrus Julia does it too, but I prefer my Waterfall - Julia was a bit too clean sounding compared to the Waterfall 
  • AlbertC said:
    I was after a LoFi Junky at one point but then I got a Jam Pedals Waterfall (chorus/vibrato) and that get's that nice lo-fi texture warbly sound superbly. Walrus Julia does it too, but I prefer my Waterfall - Julia was a bit too clean sounding compared to the Waterfall 
    I was considering the Ripply Fall as well, as you get the two-stage phaser and the triple-speed 3rd footswitch for an extra £70-80.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    AlbertC said:
    I was considering the Ripply Fall as well, as you get the two-stage phaser and the triple-speed 3rd footswitch for an extra £70-80.
    I have them as separate pedals - they're both great
  • Moogerfooger clusterflux
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    One on Reverb for a mere £949.... I wish I could, mate.
    One on Reverb for a mere £949.... I wish I could, mate.
    Bargain, put me down for 2
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom