A discussion about fret wire for a strat refret

What's Hot
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting my CS 1960 relic strat refretted and I'm just looking for some opinions and ideas for what fret wire I might like ... I know you can't tell me what I'll like but some of you might give me some ideas or for a guitar to go and try with similar frets etc.  On the shop floor traveller on the strat the fretwire was simply listed as 'obsolete AM standard' - which I'm guessing means the same wire as an old AM standard! Some kind of medium jumbo probably.  Anyway, since then the strat had a fret level when I had it set up again a few years ago, so they are slightly smaller anyway and now they're quite worn again because it's been my only guitar for 6 years! It still plays great but I know if it had a refret it'd be playing even better. 

I recently acquired a Suhr Alt t. It has stainless steel frets, the specs say - Medium Stainless Steel .055"x.090. I can't tell any difference with the them being made from stainless steel so I'm quite tempted to get them installed on my 1960 CS relic strat. But it kinda feels 'wrong' because it's not so normal for Fenders!

With those fret measurements, what fret wire by dunlop or jescar are they most similar to? I think if I was going stainless, I might get something slightly lower than them. 

My dilemma is, if I got that size fret in nickel, they 
wouldn't survive much fret levelling! 

Another part of my brain is saying, now I have 2 guitars, I probably don't need stainless steel frets on my strat because I'd be playing it less!

Is the answer maybe a more vintage style fret in stainless steel? One advantage of the frets being low on my strat is, it's really easy to slide triads etc. 

Thanks for any help, I know it's all really personal preference. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    An American Standard would have had frets 0.1" wide I think.

Jescar make a stainless wire FW55090 which is the same size as what's on the Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    That 55x90 fretwire should be very close to Dunlop 6105. I think what fender says is 6105 or "vintage tall" on a lot of their guitars is closer to 47x90. I like the latter, feels a bit less speedbumpy.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks to both of you! That’s great to know there’s a jescar version of what’s on the Suhr, thanks @SteveRobinson ; ... @PonchoGreg ... a slightly less speed bumpy version of the wire on the Suhr does appeal, I’ll have a google of fretwire with those measurements now! Thanks!
    Whatever you go for that's close to 55x90, bear in mind the tech would level the frets as part of a refret, so you could ask them to knock a bit more off the top if you want something a bit lower. I'm pretty sure they could accommodate that
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    American strats have often used a wire that is quite similar to what PRS use on a lot of their guitars and this measures in at 0.047" tall x 0.104" wide   (closest being Jescar FW47104 or Dunlop 6155)
    The FW55090 has certainly found favour recently with some of the Ibanez Jems using it too

You don't always have to jump for stainless which will cost you more to have done in the first instance . Jescar frets are quite hardwearing in the nickel silver variety and the Dunlop stuff is pretty tough too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    Jescar 47104 is basically my perfect fret wire. I’ve had three done with that, all in stainless. All three were Gibsons but I’m sure I would love it on a strat too.

I’ve heard some techs don’t like stainless as it damages their standard tools because it’s so hard, I have never encountered this though, but it’s worth asking. Ged Green in Cheadle did all three of mine and I was delighted with them.

I’m gearing up for another refret on a ‘70 335 and will be using 47104 again.
  • Thanks! I actually do like the aspect of the wider frets on my strat vs the alt t ... there’s something comforting about it! Not sure why. Thanks again guys. @FelineGuitars ... that’s really helpful! I think just even those words make me think I should just go with nickel frets and just deal with the wear, I mean really, even those the current frets are worn like mad it still plays great! 

I’m new to looking at fret sizes hah, so if I went with 0.047 x 0.104 frets, I’d be getting a lightly lower and wider fret than what’s on my Suhr? 

Is there a fret that’s the same height as what’s on the Suhr but a similar width the American standard wire? Or is that approaching something like a jumbo fret? 

Thanks again, so helpful. 
    I think that would be bang on 6100 (aka jumbo wire)
    tFB Trader
    6100 is the same height as 6105 .....just wider (0.055" tall x 0.110" wide)
    The biggest wire we usually offer is either Dunlop 6000 (0.058" x 0116" wide) or the Jescar FW58118 which is pretty much the same . There are always very slight manufacturing tolerances and not unusual for a wire to be out by a thou or two. 

Those bigger wires are my own favourite to play on and if they are well installed  and dressed and the ends made to feel unobtrusive then they don't seem to bother most players.

Just doing a Jackson Adrian Smith strat with the Dunlop 6000 and it feels amazing

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Also worth investing in a set of digital calipers if you're contemplating a refret. You can measure accurately what's on your existing guitar to gauge what the difference would be, measure guitars you like (bearing in mind the manufacturer specs can be off once you take levelling and wear into account), etc. That's £15-20 well spent in the long run.
  • Brill, thanks for this help I’ve got a much better idea about fret sizes now! Although to anyone reading I definitely sound more confused haha as I’ve gone from wanting something like a vintage frets to jumbos ... I think I really need a think! 
    tFB Trader
    We keep a selection of guitars we built on hand usually to let a customer feel what the wires feel like for real.
    We don't mind stainless jobs at all - they do hurt your tools and it does take longer but we charge a bit more to cover for it, so we are as happy to do them as Nickel Silver.
    The only time we are cautious is if your guitar is already overly bright as you can tip it over the edge sonically.

tFB Trader
    Two useful bits of info about fret life: 

Some of the harder wearing strings such as stainless or harder alloys can be harsher in terms of wear on the frets. I don't have evidence on Paradigm or NYXL strings but it stands to reason when you rub or grind two metals against each other the weaker one is gong to get worn away.

Also if you want long fret life - don't play with rusty strings - rusty strings are extremely hard on frets.

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 276
    Whichever size you choose, I’d recommend Jescar  EVO GOLD for longevity, slinky feel and looks too.

I’ve  yet to see any negative comments on it , from those who’ve actually had the wire installed.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    While on this topic what would the Dunlop equivalent of the Fender 'Medium Jumbo' frets found on my Classic Player 60s neck? 

Thanks.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Ossyrocks said:
    Jescar 47104 is basically my perfect fret wire. I’ve had three done with that, all in stainless. All three were Gibsons but I’m sure I would love it on a strat too.

I’ve heard some techs don’t like stainless as it damages their standard tools because it’s so hard, I have never encountered this though, but it’s worth asking. Ged Green in Cheadle did all three of mine and I was delighted with them.

I think Ged has packed it in nowadays. Not sure if this is permanent or just a long break
    soma1975 said:
    While on this topic what would the Dunlop equivalent of the Fender 'Medium Jumbo' frets found on my Classic Player 60s neck? 

Thanks.
    Most likely 6150 (based on what I measured for a classic player 50s neck)
  • 6150 is pure Goldilocks fretwire!
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    Ossyrocks said:

I think Ged has packed it in nowadays. Not sure if this is permanent or just a long break
    I think he’s not taking any new customers.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    soma1975 said:

Thanks.
    Most likely 6150 (based on what I measured for a classic player 50s neck)
    Cheers
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.