Gibson price rises

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
What does everyone think about the price rises on Les Paul standards? Seems to be a new price of £2199 in most places. Not sure if inflation rate merits it. Certainly can't imagine a big step in QC to justify it. 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darhartdarhart Frets: 63
    Les Paul standards often seem to be twice the price of Fender USA strats, so considering the Fenders are around £1400 these days I don't think the Gibsons are looking too bad, they took a bit of a price drop over the last couple of years and seem to be trying to make that ground back up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5213
    Couldn't care less really, they're cheaper now in real terms than when I bought my Standard in 1999.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Doesn’t affect me, as I’m more than sorted for guitars.. it’s a lot of money, for sure..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• teradaterada Frets: 5125
    Part of the reason the forum was excited about the peach R8s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Has Gibson officially raised prices or are dealers taking advantage of constrained availability and high demand?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Whitecat said:
    Has Gibson officially raised prices or are dealers taking advantage of constrained availability and high demand?
    It’s September so it’s time for the annual new release/price hike anyway.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Wasn't an LP standard close to 2.5 or even 2.7k a few years ago?... Might be remembering that wrong though
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    Theres a vid here about what they are currently up too..  Virtual NAMM.. Somewhat boring though.. You have been warned  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1vGYEO0vQ
  • Seems a lot 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Whitecat said:
    It’s September so it’s time for the annual new release/price hike anyway.
    Gibson don’t run on a “model year” system anymore - new mgmt specifically wanted to get away from that when they took over. But that doesn’t preclude an annual price hike either way...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5213
    edited August 2020
    The price I bought my 1999 Standard brand new for is now equivalent to £2440, give or take. So they're cheaper at the moment than they have been in the past, all companies are increasing prices not just Gibson.

The internet has to hate Gibson though, Gibson's law rather than Godwin's perhaps. Careful chaps, don't buy one unless you want the headstock to snap off in the breeze of your quietest fart and impale your unsuspecting bollox as you walk past your Les Paul on its stand....

None of my Gibson's have QC issues and frankly are the dogs danglies, yes I had my Standard recently fettled at Feline but it's been 20 years since it saw a skilled luthier I don't feel that's out of the ordinary. YMMV and all that....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    When they brought out the new full fat non weight relieved Standards in 2019 when the new bloke took over they dropped the price from £2200 to £2000 so I'm guessing they have just put it up to the old price. In other words they've been discounted by £200 for the last 12 months or so. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    They are the same price as always. Always around the £2000 mark. And a controversial opinion but they are worth it. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    LPManic said:
    They are the same price as always. Always around the £2000 mark. And a controversial opinion but they are worth it. 
    Yep. You're probably right. I think they're great. They're my second favourite guitar. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    If I have to scratch the les paul itch it's always got to be used for me. I dont feel they are worth what they go for new, but then again I feel the same about Fenders higher end models too.
  • damo_89damo_89 Frets: 9
    For what it’s worth I’ve just bought a standard 60s in iced tea! excellent guitar and plays like a dream, stock seems to be low everywhere you look at the minute maybe due to Covid? It seems dealers are trying to make hay on this fact. As someone said there worth every penny in my opinion, especially given how many years of enjoyment you get out of them