What the neck?

What's Hot
OK, Just joined etc.

If you read my "why", amongst other things I'm starting on the journey to building my own guitar.
No eye rollin', I know, I know, enough already...
But me and wood get along very well together and I fancy a LP Gold top - (P90s of course).

So, got the designated mahogany side board commandeered form the hall (1930's) so should be well seasoned.
As this is the first go, happy to take on the body, tronics etc. but I'm not touching the neck (yet).
So Question... What the neck should I get and from where? First guitar, confident but not daft,
and I may cock it up so 50 -100 price range.
Luthiers out there - I know, this is a sanity project for winter months, all and any help appreciated.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    I was going to say you won't get a neck under £100 but I looked on eBay and this looks like it might do the job:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164332791588

Caveat emptor of course!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Steve,

That's even under 50! and the exact pocket/joint I had in mind.
    Most helpful and appreciated. Not expecting Warmoth quality so caveat noted.

Helpful to know, does anyone have experience of these.
    Don't mind sorting out finishing and truss rods...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    I assume its the same as the necks on a lot of cheap kits

It should be serviceable, but you may find the wood a bit fuzzy, fretboard a bit rough, frets a bit soft  and not level etc.

I have a cheap Chinese kit LP here thats fairly nice after a lot of work.. but its never my go to guitar
  • I've bought a couple of cheap necks like that and overall they were usable but I felt the quality of the fretwire let them down. The frets were well seated and level enough to use but re-fretted with hosco fret wire and they felt much better to play.
  • Thanks Wez, Good to know, and like what I expected so thats helpful.
    I have guitars that are old friends - sad, I know, but there you go.
    I think its time for a dirty mongrel amomgst the pedigrees - wait 'till I hand wind the Pups!
  • Thanks all,
    helpful advice, not a fan of "jumbo frets" so figured on pulling them and replacing anyway.
    Had no idea - as yet on what fret wire - its  learning curve for me, so the hosco suggestion is much appreciated.
    Anyway I've got to get the side board appart as a starter LOL.
    Can we talk about nuts in relation to skinny frets?
  • Neck arrived last week - total horlicks! Wasn't expecting great for £45 but really????
    Anyway, found another one on ebay for £30 (hopes not high but it looked OK and the description was detailed) and......
    It's fine, actually pretty good - just goes to show, or maybe just lucky this time.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    glad the second one is better.  Looking forward to seeing the reclaimed mahogany in use. 
  • PeteC said:
    glad the second one is better.  Looking forward to seeing the reclaimed mahogany in use. 
    Absolutely Pete, I hear you. Nothing goes to waste. However the use of the term "mahogany" in this instance and in relation to the purcahse is a farce"
    The world is full of abundant resources, it's the exploitation and miss mangement of them that is the problem.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    Neck arrived last week - total horlicks! Wasn't expecting great for £45 but really????
    Sorry about that maybe I was right the first time? 
  • Neck arrived last week - total horlicks! Wasn't expecting great for £45 but really????
    Sorry about that maybe I was right the first time? 
    No worries Steve and no need for apology.
    You were right and your caveat was noted. Got there in the end thanks for your help - appreciated.
    The sideboard has proved to be a great basis for the body, and I have enjoyed making it.
    A way to go yet but it's coming on well, it might take me a while still.
    Look forward to posting the results. ;)

• PeteC said:
    Absolutely Pete, I hear you. Nothing goes to waste. However the use of the term "mahogany" in this instance and in relation to the purcahse is a farce"
    The world is full of abundant resources, it's the exploitation and miss mangement of them that is the problem.

Oh - for clarification my comment was in relation to the neck purchase. The body is reclaimed.

Tired fingers from routing and woodworking but satisfying and its giving me something to achive in Covid UK.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I love using good reclaimed timber myself - so I’m interested to see what you’ve done with the old sideboard.   I went round looking for suitable old mahogany tables before my first build but frankly the prices weren’t that great.  It’s great when you come across something you can use and repurpose into an instrument.  
  • PeteC said:
    I love using good reclaimed timber myself - so I’m interested to see what you’ve done with the old sideboard.   I went round looking for suitable old mahogany tables before my first build but frankly the prices weren’t that great.  It’s great when you come across something you can use and repurpose into an instrument.  

Thanks Pete
    Sorry not to come back to been challenging couple of months.
    I have the body made roughed out now and looking reasonable. If anyone can tell me how to upload images I will.
    Prices on old furniture are ridiculous and you may as well buy a blank from good supplier.
    I got the sideboard from Helmsdale antique centre in Lincolshire in the the 1990s for 30 of her majestys finest pounds.
    Even then bought it just for the wood thinking mmmm! that could make a good guitar! - didn't realise it would take me 30 years to get round to it - but well seasoned!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom