Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So, you buy a guitar off the bay...

What's Hot

Comments

• If I was the seller i'd be arguing that you can see the condition in the photos and if you were unsure you should've asked for more photos before buying it.

Even so, Paypal would still probably take your side and refund you if it came to it..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't bothered that the hardware was described as tarnished, but the fact that this was not a result of the age of the guitar as he alluded to. This is the neck binding that was not mentioned. Looks like torty binding :lol: not even sure how this can be achieved!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    He describes it as 'rare' but it looks overdone to me.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    He describes it as 'rare' but it looks overdone to me.
    :lol: i am wondering if he ran out of bog roll at the beginning of the lockdown and forgot to clean the guitar afterwards 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    "Ive managed to move most off the black marks that was around the Bigsby Logo on the Bigsby Tremolo Bar now." 

This equals twat. Sorry to be so blunt. I would have marched myself to another listing immediately. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, binding is shocking. Rest I was prepared to argue is marginal but that should have been declared by seller 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Sorry having trouble with imjur as it has changed and I don't know what I am doing now... Above is basically an example of the "ageing".  s

Seller is saying he will refund but I will have to foot the postage return bill - double  :s
    I think thats more than fair...

Honestly, imho and all that, I dont think the seller has tried to hide anything here; photos look pretty clear to me...

For a £365 guitar, I think its only fair to pay the return postage.

Just sayin... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sellers pics are pretty low res, to my mind. Maybe pay the return postage, and put it down to experience..? You could hold out, of course.. your money, your call..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108

I can't remember what eBay policy is on return postage.  I'm pretty sure the one time a guitar was returned to me I did pay the buyer's return postage but I don't recall how the process worked.

I have to say though, apart from the binding - I have no idea what's going on there - I do think the seller's pictures are clear enough, you can certainly see the state of the hardware.  Those grotty-looking corroded tuners would be enough to put me off, I wouldn't want to touch them.

• "...usual wear and tare (sic) associated with a guitar this age, scuffs, marks, dings and dents, hardware is faded/tarnished."

Well, if you play with a piece of steel wool in your right hand, and boot polish all over your left.

Reckon that's an attempt at artificial aging by someone who doesn't understand that doing it well is quite difficult.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Philly_Q said:

I can't remember what eBay policy is on return postage.  I'm pretty sure the one time a guitar was returned to me I did pay the buyer's return postage but I don't recall how the process worked.

I have to say though, apart from the binding - I have no idea what's going on there - I do think the seller's pictures are clear enough, you can certainly see the state of the hardware.  Those grotty-looking corroded tuners would be enough to put me off, I wouldn't want to touch them.

If it’s a return claim for “not as described” ebay requires the seller to foot the bill. They usually bill you for a postage label which is completely inadequate for a guitar or an amp. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    If you bought the item with paypal they can pay for return shipping, even if you just don'the like what you bought. Look up the transaction in your PayPal account and there should be a button to claim return shipping cost. I think the maximum they pay is £15.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited September 2020
    The close up of the headstock and Bigsby would have told me all I needed to know that this guitar wasn’t for me.

The fact he’s wiped his arse on the binding does reveal itself in the photos, but only once you know to look for it. Easy to miss...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Hi Lovestrat,

Sorry to hear about your experience and the guitar was not as expected.
    Everyone has contributed with good advice on ebay policy etc.
    But I have a curve ball solution for you...

Ok first off, if you really don't like it and think it not as described follow the advice and send it back.
    I think you have a good chance.

The photos are the description, and it looks pretty much like the photos if you click to zoom.
    (on a 2002 guitar there is no way that is normal wear and tear but it is shown), and yes the description isn't the best seller could have been a bit clearer in the written description.

But... Underneath that mish mash exterior is a beautiful guitar, that can be sorted for not too much
    at £365 you did well. Just a thought...
     How does it sound and play?

• Feels like a hiding to nothing to me. That guitar looks like the photos on the sale. 

• But... Underneath that mish mash exterior is a beautiful guitar, that can be sorted for not too much
    at £365 you did well. Just a thought...
     How does it sound and play? 

It's a beast!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• It's a beast!

Well, there you go!... I'd embrace it, or sort it. ;)
    It could be that scruffy mongrel that turns out to be your best friend? ;)
    I'd embrace it,? or sort it? ;)
    Let us know what you decide.

• I didn't do all those imojjis though....
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    edited September 2020
    I’d say you can see something is amiss in the photos but the seller clearly claims that it’s all normal wear and tear, not wire wool. 
    Right or wrong aside, if you want to return if not as described eBay will side with you and the seller will have to pay return postage, and you’ll be refunded the purchase price and your original postage cost. Sellers really need to document the condition as thoroughly as possible, or eBay will bite them on the arse
  • I don’t use evil bay for guitars.
    I enough bad experiences buying records years ago to put me off.