Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One for the PAF fans (video demo)

What's Hot

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Great ! - just ordered a pair of nickel Alnico 4   7.5K for my upcoming build.  Looking forward to getting hold of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I might be knocking on your door soon! Potentially picking up my first full blooded humbucker guitar, so will be doing some research on variants!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Ok... update. I’ve fitted a pair to my Epi Dot. They replaced the god awful original pickups... 
    I went with A3 magnets and 7k/8k (neck/bridge). 

In short, they sound FABULOUS. Being picky, I think I’d probably either go with either an A5 magnet or higher wind for the bridge if I was buying another to give it a bit more oomph. 

I did a very quick n dirty demo - signal chain is guitar, Dawner Prince Boonar and into my old Vampower combo. No post prod stuff - and excuse the flubs.

https://soundcloud.com/frobisher/old-timer-pafs-epi-dot-mp3/s-YbZC2fEXgmq?ref=clipboard

Recommended!!!! 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    We've just got in some temporary 8.5k winds in to tide us over until the proper stock comes.

They're different - 52mm pole spacing, short legged baseplates, plastic spacers, zebra/gold cover/chrome cover/nickel cover.
    Still made with the USA plain enamel wire, so tonally identical to what a 8.5k would be, without the vintage accurate cosmetics.

We have the matching 7.5k in 50mm pole spacing for these ones too. Contact  directly for these.

Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Finally got around to fitting mine today. 
    A5 magnets 7.5k and 8k and have to say they are fabulous. I pretty much always use single coils and usually find humbuckers a bit pants. I haven't had experience with PAFs before but these Old Timers are brilliant and I now want another to replace the JB I have in my only other guitar with a Hb. Honestly great. So impressed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited October 2020
    Has anyone played these alongside any "boutique" PAF style pickups and how do they hold up? Just fancy some decent general purpose no nonsense  pickups without spending a fortune. Want to put my SG back to something a bit more normal and versatile so I'm thinking a pair of A2 7.5k neck + A5 8.5k bridge would do the trick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    TTBZ said:
    Has anyone played these alongside any "boutique" PAF style pickups and how do they hold up? Just fancy some decent general purpose no nonsense  pickups without spending a fortune. Want to put my SG back to something a bit more normal and versatile so I'm thinking a pair of A2 7.5k neck + A5 8.5k bridge would do the trick. 
    Tbh, mate - it’s fair to say that I only ever buy boutique pickups! Most of my guitars either have Mojos in them - my PRS has a Bulldog in the bridge, etc etc... 

Whilst none are low wind PAFs like the Old Timers are, I’d suggest that these hold their own. Genuinely.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just pulled the trigger on a pair.  They're to go in a bright sounding es335 type.  I've gone for an 8k A2 in the bridge & a 7k A5 in the neck.  I'll let you know how they fair against the SD 59 & Jazz they may or may not replace.  The SD pickups sound good to be fair, just the 59 in the bridge is mega-jangle and slightly tinnitus inducing!
    tFB Trader
    columbo2 said:
    I've just pulled the trigger on a pair.  They're to go in a bright sounding es335 type.  I've gone for an 8k A2 in the bridge & a 7k A5 in the neck.  I'll let you know how they fair against the SD 59 & Jazz they may or may not replace.  The SD pickups sound good to be fair, just the 59 in the bridge is mega-jangle and slightly tinnitus inducing!
    Thanks! (they went out today).
    That combination ought to do what you're after.
  • A little follow up on this. I received my Old Timers I was planning on installing these pups in my Eastman 335 copy.  Being an unknown quantity to me I wanted to try them out in a guitar with an easier installation job, so I bunged them in an Epiphone g400 (SG copy).  The guitar sounded pretty crap before the swap, and to be fair strings were old etc. When I did the swap I also upgraded the bridge with one I had laying around, so it wasn't a straightforward comparison.

...to cut a long story short, I do really like what I'm hearing.  The bridge is bright, lively and articulate, without being overly crisp. They don't have a thunderous low end, but I think that's to be expected from a PAF style pup.  They have a nice growl unser overdrive. I find the neck puck a bit dull, but I generally do find neck humbees dull in a mahogany body guitar... but the middle position is really nice. 

I like the aged nickel cover, it's tastefully not overdone.   For the price, I would definitely recommend.  I don't think you can go wrong. I compared them to my Firebird Studio which has a 490 T & R set.  The Old Timers are way more chimey.  The 490s sound muddy in comparison.

My one grumble is that the length of wire to the neck pick up was too short, and made installation a much bigger ballache than it needed to be.

I'll update again when they make it to their destination in the Eastman to see how they compare to the SD's.
  • Reading through the posts.how did these pickups sound in the epiphone dot,someone mentioned?
    Might fancy a set in mine. ;)
    Reading through the posts.how did these pickups sound in the epiphone dot,someone mentioned?
    Might fancy a set in mine. ;)
    Scroll back in the thread - you’ll see the verdict and there’s even a sound file!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    columbo2 said:
    My one grumble is that the length of wire to the neck pick up was too short and made installation a much bigger ballache than it needed to be.
    The budget 'bucker I removed from the neck/Rhythm position of a Hamer XT Echotone 335-alike had a cable run of 340mm.

The Seymour Duncan '59 that replaced it had approximately 300mm of cable. Thanks to reconfigured controls for a Roland GK Kit installation, the cable only needed to reach to the selector switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Demo video is now up - link in the first post
  • saxosimsaxosim Frets: 69
    edited February 2021
    @Alegree tempted to order a set thanks, how do I specify aged black bobbins and aged nickel covers can I add it into the order notes or something?  

Also do they come with screws and springs or do I need to order separately?  Thanks 
    tFB Trader
    saxosim said:
    @Alegree tempted to order a set thanks, how do I specify aged black bobbins and aged nickel covers can I add it into the order notes or something?  

Also do they come with screws and springs or do I need to order separately?  Thanks 
    The options for the cosmetics are at the top, just select from the drop down menus.
    They come with screws & springs.
  • Alegree said:
    saxosim said:

The options for the cosmetics are at the top, just select from the drop down menus.

t
    Thanks @Alegree ;is it an either or option though as I would like both if possible ie the aged bobbins and also aged nickel covers so if I decide to remove the covers ever I then have aged bobbins on show underneath.  Thanks 
    tFB Trader
    saxosim said:
    Alegree said:
    saxosim said:

t
    Thanks @Alegree ;is it an either or option though as I would like both if possible ie the aged bobbins and also aged nickel covers so if I decide to remove the covers ever I then have aged bobbins on show underneath.  Thanks 
    Sorry I misunderstood, it's not typically offered, but there's no reason they can't be aged separately before assembly. Please leave a note against the order to prompt warehouse to do it this way for you.
  • Alegree said:
    saxosim said:
    Alegree said:
    saxosim said:

t
    Sorry I misunderstood, it's not typically offered, but there's no reason they can't be aged separately before assembly. Please leave a note against the order to prompt warehouse to do it this way for you.
    Excellent thanks will do
  • Thanks ordered today but have messaged you a question @Alegree thanks