Just bought 2011 i7 ,2.7ghz ,8gb ,240 ssd,high Sierra for garageband /iMovie

What's Hot
Just spent my life savings on this lol, hoping to use it with garageband/iMovie to do the odd YouTube guitar cover etc . £215 +£10 postage  should be faster than my 2007 4gb iMac .

whaddya think decent spec for price 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a mac 215 for anything under 10 years old with an i7 is a bargain 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    edited September 2020
    Good deal; i7 and SSD should fly. You’ll really notice the boot up speed increase.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    Good score there :+1:    :)
  • I’ve just asked for a refund actually . 

Just found out that all the graphic cards fail ,they had to do a recall on them but replaced them with the same faulty boards . Shouldn’t really be selling like that without disclosing. Bloody laptops are a minefield . The person who is selling them has sold a few MacBooks looking at their feedback, but right at the end I didn’t see before ,they sold one that failed 
  • Got my refund thank god , what a scare . I will keep saving and get a 2012 later ,lesson learned
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    Ah, my bad, I hadn't realised it was the 2011 MBP that you bought.
    It's possible the GPU issue has been fixed and if the machine is running OK then it'll probably be fine, but I understand your feelings.
    There is also an app https://gfx.io/ ; that can force the computer from deciding which graphics processor to use, but use the higher powered discrete graphics card all the time.

Bit like feeling you are sitting on a timebomb though, particularly as money is tight for you at the moment.
    Hope you don't feel too bad, I'm sure you'll keep looking & get sorted soon.
  • Thanks that’s really nice , yes even when they are repaired it’s with the same chip. It was on a video voted worst MacBook .

I am currently watching some 2012 ones to see if a bargain arises . 
    The 2012 won best MacBook twice in the top 5  and so many people seem to have good things to say about them .

thanks for your cheery post .  I was watching a beauty of a 2012 last night I think it was £240 and this morning it had gone .

have a great evening 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    16G Ram might be better if you can get it...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    If it’s for audio get the Intel Iris version ... runs cooler and less likely to fail. That applies to pretty much all MacBook Pro’s ..., if it’s for audio go got the Intel GPU which is part of the processor. No good for games or video editing but a better bet for audio work , 
    www.2020studios.co.uk