Cloudy finish on PRS S2

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Philly_Q said:
    @poopot I might give it a go.  As noted by @Whitecat above, it's a known issue with guitars from this period, whether or not it was due to moisture in the lacquer I don't know.  Would it just appear if it hadn't been there originally?
    I guess it can do... was it stored in a case? Did you have the silica gel baggy in there?

going back to the kitchen table, you get the white rings if something hot gets put on top and the heat traps moisture in the finish... the hairdryer trick sorts those out.

with the strat body I posted, it blushed as soon as the lacquer went on... but the hairdryer (was a hot air gun tbh) sorted it.

I have had similar on my acoustic and that’s 30years old... suddenly a white patch appeared... hair dryer got rid of it...

give it a go, but go easy with the heat!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    It’s basically moisture getting into the finish...

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/clean-cloudiness-lacquer-furniture-104156.html

can be done when it’s sprayed or years after!!!!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited October 2020
    Problem with this is that sometimes the “bubbles” actually ‘pop’ - in which case you are screwed. This happened on my aforementioned Starla on just one of the spots - the middle had an actual hole in it. No way to fix that easily...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25100
    Whitecat said:
    Problem with this is that sometimes the “bubbles” actually ‘pop’ - in which case you are screwed. This happened on my aforementioned Starla on just one of the spots - the middle had an actual hole in it. No way to fix that easily...
    I suppose it's almost like having a guitar wrapped in a plastic shell which isn't actually stuck to the wood.  There's no sign of that happening on mine, but it could get worse over time.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8890
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    That sounds more like solvent pop. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17497
    I don't think this is lacquer  blushing,  just delamination

You see similar on many fender necks, where the black dots end up looking a pale green grey and it starts peeling from the edges

The underside of the delaminated lacquer will be textured a bit like frosted glass

• sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    I had it on the edge of the fretboard on a PRS Custom 22 I used to have. Looked like the finish had lifted off the wood. I think the finish is hard ,like a shell, that just detaches itself from the wood leaving the cloudy look.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25100
    sawyer said:
    I had it on the edge of the fretboard on a PRS Custom 22 I used to have. Looked like the finish had lifted off the wood. I think the finish is hard ,like a shell, that just detaches itself from the wood leaving the cloudy look.
    A similar thing is very common on Hamers.  I've had a few over the years and the finish would often lift/go cloudy in specific places - on the fretboard edges and around the neck joint.  They call it "Hameritis".