Pod Pro vs Pod XT Pro?

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
edited September 2020 in FX
I’ve been thinking of picking up one of these units as a quick and easy recording alternative to my ancient Vox Tonelab. Both are red 2u rack units and the XT has a better display and some more connection options at the back. Is there any great difference in the sound quality?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I’ve been thinking of picking up one of these units as a quick and easy recording alternative to my ancient Vox Tonelab. Both are red 2u rack units and the XT has a better display and some more connection options at the back. Is there any great difference in the sound quality?

Yes. Get the POD XT Pro ... the modelling is better and it is far more flexible when it comes to creating tones with FX pedals.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The pro was a significant improvement.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I extensively used the Pod Pro XT in the early 00's when I had one- right up until I got an Axe FX.
    The guitars on this song are all Pod Pro XT- Twin for cleans and Treadplate for distortion.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2XFp3nhk51uyeDcnohqoqO?si=d3rd4gqLRI-WSOOa9sWwwg
  • I have the HD Pro X now but I had the Pod Pro v2 for years.. I never got on with the XT tones, too sterile and crisp; lacked warmth. There was something magical about the v2 stuff.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @bloodandtears I had exactly the same experience. The XT did way more and in theory was "better", but I always preferred the tone of my v2
  • I've got my eye on a Pro and a Pro XT on ebay now and I still can't decide which one to go for!
  • I've got my eye on a Pro and a Pro XT on ebay now and I still can't decide which one to go for!
    Get both ,find your fav and sell the other? 
  • Well the seller upped the starting price for the XT Pro to £160 from £140 on the last day. Looking at the last ten that sold on ebay, the average selling price was £108. My offer of £110 was automatically declined, it received no bids and has been relisted at a starting price of £160. I'll give that one a miss, or I'll just be contributing to ebay's terrible price inflation of used gear. 
  • I picked up a Pod Pro on ebay for £75 and just wired it in. First impressions are good. I just want it for convenience really - plug in and get a classic Vox, Fender or Marshall tone to try out ideas. Anything more serious and I can mike up a valve amp. 
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    I know a couple of very good players who still use their tonelab over anything pod... horses for courses I guess. Keep the tonelab also I guess?!
  • The pots on the Tonelab have become a bit scratchy (which manifests itself as “jumpy” in the 0-100 digital world). But, yes, that ECC83 working in push-pull gives it a definite valve amp feel that purely digital modellers can’t replicate.