Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited September 2020 in Music
I love this song, it's one of the most unsettling I've ever heard, a banjo sounding scary. The build up to the outstanding finale is terrific. The pause at 3m 30s before the mood changes is brilliant 

"He will take you If you run, he will chase you He will take you, If you run, he will chase you 'cause he is the Lord"

It has to be played loud for full effect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• One of my favourite albums and gigs. Saw him play Dingwalls around this time and it was the best behaved crowd I've ever witnessed - not a sound from the audience while he played. Amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited September 2020
    Listened to this loads back in the day
  • Excellent stuff. Come On Feel The Illinoise still gets an awful lot of play in my house. Big Sufjan Stevens fan.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Discovered Come On Feel The Illinoise a while ago; beautiful melodies, intelligent lyrics and an incredibly moving voice.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    edited September 2020
    Interesting read...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy
    PS. Scary stuff.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Love this record - 2003-2006 was his absolute creative peak for sure. Still one of the few artists I've never seen live that I would really love to one day. But Michigan - Seven Swans - Illinoise (plus the outtakes record) and, seasonally, some of his vast Christmas oeuvre are on frequent rotation here. He has written some absolutely incredible songs.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12317
    Love this record, my fav track is In the Devil's Territory. Love the Michigan and Illinoise records too. Looks like the projected album for every state idea was a bit of a hoax!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Love this record, my fav track is In the Devil's Territory. Love the Michigan and Illinoise records too. Looks like the projected album for every state idea was a bit of a hoax!
    https://www.stereogum.com/2098166/mr-husband-hey-sufjan-you-took-too-long-so-i-went-ahead-and-made-west-virginia/music/