Selling On Price Percentage

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
If you were to take the average of every time you've bought a new piece of gear and then later sold it on in good condition - what would you say was the average percentage of the product's original price that you got back for selling it?

Or even when you've bought used gear, what's the average percentage of the brand new price that you've got a used item for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hard to say on new stuff, but I’d generally be chuffed with anything more than ⅔rd’s of what I paid.

With used I rarely lose money on gear, I’m not saying I turn a profit on it but I’ve generally been able to get back what I paid or thereabouts.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2480
    60 - 65% average for recent items but of course desirable older items can often sell for (much) more than 100%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    For unmolested and vv good to excellent condition. 60%-65% for currently available gear. For everything else that's where you follow your nose and what you think it's worth. That's where you buy a pig in a poke or a veritable bargain. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
    I've generally bought used guitars and amps and when sold, maybe got a little more back, or sometimes a bit less.

Any losses are what I see as the "hire cost" for the use of that piece of kit before passing it on to another person to have a bit of fun with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything more than 50% return is a bonus, unless you stole it.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    Probably 50%

For a while I wasted a fair bit of money on buying stuff that I eventually didn't want, trying to stick to used gear now to minimise potential losses.
  • I agree with 50% on average. I never buy new anymore, consider everything I lose money on as a cost for using it for a while and have finally conceded that there's no such thing as a keeper - ultimately I've realised that I should never buy anything I'm not happy to lose money on.
  • I think 60% of the retail price is about right on average. It will depend on how sought after or collectible and rare the item is as the price may go up from there. However, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's sought after. I do see the odd item for sale used at near or in excess of the new item price because they are special/limited/rare etc.
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    If you bought it new and you're selling in as new (actually) then I think it's reasonable to ask around 75% of what you paid (or what they are still available at).

For used items, depending on how desirable they are, anywhere around 60% to 100%  in my experience.
  • I've just learnt the lesson to buy used guitars and amps.  
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I've never lost anything.
    The difference between what I paid and what I sold it at is just the fee I've paid for enjoying it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    If you bought it new and you're selling in as new (actually) then I think it's reasonable to ask around 75% of what you paid (or what they are still available at).

For used items, depending on how desirable they are, anywhere around 60% to 100%  in my experience.
    Totally agree with this.

On a slight tangent, has anyone here ever bought a brand new car ? I haven't and highly unlikely I ever will - primarily as I do not have the need. But for those that do, I wonder if there is any issue with the immediate depreciation ?

I would hope not, as buying new has its own merits - and there has to be new turnover to supply the used market.
  • I would always aim for about two thirds of the current new price. That seems to work in most cases, maybe end up at around 60% if it really doesn't seem to shift.

But with general price increases in recent years, it means that it might end up being more like 75% (or more) of what I bought it for, especially for lower end guitars.

That said, I very rarely buy new these days beyond cheaper items. If buying used I would also aim to spend about two thirds of the current new price, maybe a bit more if it's not available new anymore in that exact spec. I'd be uncomfortable with anything 75% and above, regardless of the item's condition. I'm particularly baffled by some eBay asking prices, especially for cheaper guitars: not sure getting just a 20% discount on the new price (so sometimes just £50 or so) outweighs the fact that buying new gives you a right to return, warranty etc
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • rico said:

Totally agree with this.

On a slight tangent, has anyone here ever bought a brand new car ? I haven't and highly unlikely I ever will - primarily as I do not have the need. But for those that do, I wonder if there is any issue with the immediate depreciation ?

I would hope not, as buying new has its own merits - and there has to be new turnover to supply the used market.
    I usually buy new cars and motorcycles. I usually keep them for 7-8 years, though, before trading in for another. So I never see any year 1/2 depreciation (which I'm sure is massive) just the value after a longer period. 

I've learned (without planning it) that the annual cost of ownership (including depreciation) is pretty decent if you follow this approach, but you do need the capital up front to get in the game. I've rarely spent any money on repairs using this approach. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
    edited September 2020
    For  cars, buy at auction at 2 years old. Sell privately after a couple of years as long as you aren't hammering the miles. If you are, just keep it till you're fed up with it...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited September 2020
    Adey said:
    For  cars, buy at auction at 2 years old. Sell privately after a couple of years as long as you aren't hammering the miles. If you are, just keep it till you're fed up with it...
    Id never buy a car at an auction that was relatively new, even if it had low mileage (for example).

In my experience, there’s a reason why its there and not in the ‘trade’...

Also, buying gear, you rarely get your money back, but as @fretmeister wisely said, its the enjoyment of ownership and use.

All imho.
  • rico said:

Totally agree with this.

I usually buy new cars and motorcycles. I usually keep them for 7-8 years, though, before trading in for another. So I never see any year 1/2 depreciation (which I'm sure is massive) just the value after a longer period. 

I've learned (without planning it) that the annual cost of ownership (including depreciation) is pretty decent if you follow this approach, but you do need the capital up front to get in the game. I've rarely spent any money on repairs using this approach. 
    Not quite new, but one of our cars (2014 i10) was dealer registered so technically 2nd owner and just delivery miles on and decent saving for what is a new car but you're the 2nd owner. Same case really, if you know you will keep it long enough then the big depreciation drops are years where it should also be in warranty so it's paying for peace of mind as well within there. All depends on priorities and for us that car is the workhorse that's cheap to run and keep running so it stays until it's knackered!

I wouldn't worry too much on turnover to supply the used market anyway. Plenty handed back at end of a PCP period.
  • <snip>

Not quite new, but one of our cars (2014 i10) was dealer registered so technically 2nd owner and just delivery miles on and decent saving for what is a new car but you're the 2nd owner. Same case really, if you know you will keep it long enough then the big depreciation drops are years where it should also be in warranty so it's paying for peace of mind as well within there. All depends on priorities and for us that car is the workhorse that's cheap to run and keep running so it stays until it's knackered!

I wouldn't worry too much on turnover to supply the used market anyway. Plenty handed back at end of a PCP period.
    I've had a couple of cars like that from a Peugeot dealer near where I used to live. The first car was registered and used by the Service Manager at the dealership as his company car. 2,000 miles in 6 months then we picked it up and ran it for 5 years. Until the next one - another "new" car that was registered by them 6 months previously but had just 2 miles on the clock and was still in its delivery wax when I first saw it.