Vocal Plugins

What's Hot
What's good? I'm brand new to this recording lark.

Is there like a NeuralDSP equivalent where 1 plugin has EQ / Compression / De-essing etc etc all on 1 pop up rather than having to layer loads of different ones with loads of different menus?

I'm using Reaper if that makes any difference.

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven’t used it but Izotope Nectar is probably worth a look

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/nectar.html
  • There are loads. The one I've found most useful is Izotope Neutron (though it's also pretty expensive). Waves do many, in the form of channel strips, and my favourite of those is the Scheps OmniChannel, but the simulations of things like SSLs or the Abbey Road consoles are fun, too - they have fewer and less malleable controls, but they seem to be made to distort musically. Neutron seems to be more "clinical", but that's useful too. 

And that's just two companies - here's the channel strip page on plugin boutique

Basically it's rabbit hole and it goes deep. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    This is actually a very good plugin for getting a quick vocal sound 

For 9 out of 10 male vocals though sticking an EQ with a high pass around 120Hz, 5dB cut between 250 to 400Hz and a slight boost around 6 to 8K  ... add a compression with a 4:1 ratio, medium attack, adjust threshold till your see'ing around 7dB of gain reduction on the loudest bit
    Set up  2 aux buses send  one to a reverb, one to a delay   .... adjust to taste but a good starting point is echo time set to BMP with 2 repeats and set the reverb so it's got a lot of length but only 25% wet 

Personally when it comes to verbs I prefer one master one and everything sends to that. It's less processor intensive and adds a bit of glue ... plus it's what we did when studios only had one or 2 good reverbs 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I generally dislike all in ones because you often don't learn how to mix vocals, you just end up shopping around in presets.

My favourites for vocals:

EQ: Fabfilter Pro Q, Empirical Labs Big Freq
    Compression: Fabfilter Pro C2, Emprical Labs Arouser
    De-Esser: Fabfilter Pro DS, Sonnox SuprEsser
    Reverb: Liquid Sonics Seventh Heaven, Various Valhalla Reverbs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    edited September 2020
    The one that has lifted my own vocals to a level that I am really happy with is this one http://https//www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-73#scheps-73-eq-overview

It’s not an all in one, it is a brilliant EQ - been using for years. It’s really worth trying! 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited September 2020
    The Waves CLA one Danny mentions is great, and dead simple.  Normally it’s on offer for $35 or there abouts I use it a lot, also agree with octatonic that you don’t learn anything, but that’s the beauty of this tech, you can knock out something that sounds great very easily.  The Waves Abbey Road mastering plugin is a great one too
  • I agree, it definitely helps you learn using seperate eqs and comps. I’ve never got on well with all in one type plug-ins. 
    I like to use channel strip eqs and 1176 style comps.
    Brainworkx refinement is cool for taming harshness and adding saturation.
    Valhalla reverb’s and delays are mint.
    Izotope have a free plugin for a double tracked style effect which is quite nice on certain vocals. 
  • Bill_S said:
    The one that has lifted my own vocals to a level that I am really happy with is this one http://https//www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-73#scheps-73-eq-overview

It’s not an all in one, it is a brilliant EQ - been using for years. It’s really worth trying! 
    Link not working for me.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2636
    edited September 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks! @fretmeister let me know how you get on with it 
  • John_A said:
    The Waves CLA one Danny mentions is great, and dead simple.  Normally it’s on offer for $35 or there abouts I use it a lot, also agree with octatonic that you don’t learn anything, but that’s the beauty of this tech, you can knock out something that sounds great very easily.  The Waves Abbey Road mastering plugin is a great one too
    I reckon I’m in for at least 6 months of vocal practice before anything sounds great.

Ive not sung for 20 years. First time back was this morning and it was awful.
  • The thing about those all-in-one plug-ins is that they encourage you to use processing that isn't necessary.

Compression, EQ and so on are tools to fix problems. Use them if you need them but not just because they are there.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Stuckfast said:
    The thing about those all-in-one plug-ins is that they encourage you to use processing that isn't necessary.

Compression, EQ and so on are tools to fix problems. Use them if you need them but not just because they are there.
    100% this.
  • Seems to me that vocals are so much more dependent on performance than anything else. You can get away with a shit recording if there is something in the performance that just captures the listener.

Also, a huge fucking boost at 12K for the kiddzzzzzz

Bye!

• Waves do many, in the form of channel strips, and my favourite of those is the Scheps OmniChannel, but the simulations of things like SSLs or the Abbey Road consoles are fun, too - they have fewer and less malleable controls, but they seem to be made to distort musically. Neutron seems to be more "clinical", but that's useful too. 

I use OmniChannel as well on occasion, great plugin, but I stopped buying Waves products because of their horrible business model (WUP).

For vocals - I'd start with any subtractive EQ (before you buy anything, try what comes with your DAW), and a LA2A style compressor plugin. 

Klanghelm has some free plugins, and some cheap ones. Unlike many other free/cheap plugins, these rival the quality of the very best in the industry.

I also use Plugin Alliance. Many high quality plugins, and affordable as long as you buy during sales and use price reduction vouchers.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Seems to me that vocals are so much more dependent on performance than anything else. You can get away with a shit recording if there is something in the performance that just captures the listener.

Also, a huge fucking boost at 12K for the kiddzzzzzz
    Couldn’t agree more.  When I said above the CLA plugin sounds great, I meant on others.  Certainly doesn’t make me sound great!
    If you are just getting back into singing, how about some one on one singing lessons? I had just four, one hour sessions back in 2004. They didn’t turn me into a great singer, but they improved me, and I’m confident I’ve been made the most of my (limited) abilities ever since.
  • Bill_S said:
    If you are just getting back into singing, how about some one on one singing lessons? I had just four, one hour sessions back in 2004. They didn’t turn me into a great singer, but they improved me, and I’m confident I’ve been made the most of my (limited) abilities ever since.
    I am seriously considering this.

My voice has changed a huge amount over 20 years and in my first session yesterday I was having huge trouble getting it away from my throat.

sore this morning so I need to start again really. 

It was better when I put a guitar on and didn’t think about the singing. I went into auto pilot for the vocal but as soon as I started thinking again it crept back into my throat.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited September 2020
    Fuck it
  • I remember the good old days...

walk into studio. Sing.
    Come back later when the engineer has done his thing.

Mind you, I was capable of delivering a competent vocal then.