Help shipping a guitar to the US

I have provisionally sold a guitar to someone in the USA, is there anything I need to do differently or is just as simple as packing booking with DHL and dropping at my local WHSmith?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Make sure courier insures musical instruments and get full value insurance. Pack it really well and loosen strings. Take pictures of the packing as you go and of outside package just in case. 

I have used DHL, FedEx and UPS without issue 
  • Cheers, do I need to fill out a declaration or anything?
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2295
    I've filled out a declaration form and stuck on the package when I've post guitar to states. You can download one easily.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    Cheers, do I need to fill out a declaration or anything?
    I’m sure it’s the same if you book direct with the courier, but if you’re booking with Interparcel or one of the other freight aggregators then they will generate customs declarations/commercial invoices for you. You usually need to print off three copies and sign and date them, and stick them in an envelope or a document window attached to the parcel. 
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    edited September 2020
    I shipped a Huber to New York.  All was fine but I did have to fill out a declaration form and stick it to the outside of the box in a clear Folder. I also reminded the buyer that he would be liable for US import taxes.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Cheers, do I need to fill out a declaration or anything?
    I’m sure it’s the same if you book direct with the courier, but if you’re booking with Interparcel or one of the other freight aggregators then they will generate customs declarations/commercial invoices for you. You usually need to print off three copies and sign and date them, and stick them in an envelope or a document window attached to the parcel. 
    correct

If you don't have any correct documents labels/windows, then an A4 envelope, taped on, with the top 'flap open' for easy access is fine - And labelled documents