Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Picks I have known and loved

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    exocet said:
    jdgm said:
    I spy an Eros in amongst that lot. My favourite pick ever. I wish I’d bought that pack of 50 in the 80s :)
    middle lower right, I still have a few.
    I bought a box of them, in the 80's, they felt great when they were new.
    I moved over to Dunlop Tortex a long time ago, and when I discovered the sharp variety, I was hooked.
    I settled on the blue 1mm, having tried the others, but lately have been using the black 1.35, or white 1.5 ones.
    I like to make them even sharper by flatting the edges on a piece of concrete, or floor, it gives them a nice square edge which is great for dynamics.
    Missing from that picture though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    No idea what I started with, just generic fake tortoiseshell plastic jobbies I expect. Tried Dunlops, Sharkfin and Tortex and didn't get on with any of them for long. Ended up on Gibson Medium ones for more or less forever, with occasional side-trips into 3mm Stubbies (loved the idea, too ham-fisted to use properly), further attempts at Tortex because so many people love them (why? Horrible, slippy, bendy bastards that warp in use), always coming back to Gibson Medium, even when they started getting a bit inconsistent as to what "medium" actually meant.

Then about 10 years ago I switched back to .73mm nylons for acoustic, and about two years ago started hole-punching them to make them a bit more grippy when playing in hot/stressful situations. Initially stuck with the Gibsons for electric until a combination of, of all things Rob Chapman (banging on in videos) and Keeley (free pick with a pedal) got me using Gravity Picks 1.5mm for electric.

That last totally surprised me, as for years I'd really hated thicker, heavier picks. Suspect it helped having already decided to switch to lighter/more flexible picks for acoustic.

So these days life is simple. One style for acoustic, one for electric, and various other discards all over the house that I can't bring myself to throw away even though I'll never use them again (two yellow Tortex on my desk now!). Oh, and a tin of about 50 Gibson Mediums that has now become my stock for those "Anyone got a pick I can borrow?" moments.
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    I have a large tub of picks, but my main picks of choice from early days to now have been:-
    • Orange Dunlop Tortex
    • Dava Control (Still love these)
    • Dunlop Big Stubby Nylon 3mm
    • Dunlop Jazz III 

I currently alternate between the bottom three. I think that the Jazz III is my favorite. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    As with most I tried out many variations of picks and settled on the blue dunlop tortex (1mm) then moved to the greens (0.88) and now on the yellows (0.73). Also use the dunlop nylon 0.73  - a bit more flexible for acoustic.
  • No idea where all my 'Eros' picks went!

Here's every type of pick I've got:
    https://i.imgur.com/I8l2eiY.jpg

Spent a long time playing Stubbies...now I'm onto a BlueChip TP40.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited October 2020
    For the last 25 years have only used pickboy nylon 70’s for acoustic and pickboy ceramic 70’s for electric https://www.bol.com/nl/p/plectrum-mega-grip-set-0-50mm-1-00mm-6-pack-pickboy/9200000102153580/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3488
    Derlin/tortex .73 or .88 for years and years but recently been using Clayton flex and acetal standards in a thinner pic. I’m liking the difference.