The Repair Shop (BBC)

What's Hot
Just caught an episode of this lovely programme. There's a very old guitar on the with a bit of family history. The luthier does a decent and sympathetic job of getting the thing playable again. Thought some of you might like a look.

Series 5, Episode 33.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16946
    that the kind of neck reset you want - no need to steam it off.

Nice to see the different pictures of the guitar through the generations

watching it being strung is painful, the vintage tuners posts don't help with that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They had a 60’s Jazz bass fixed up too recently.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    David Kennet from Flame Guitars usually does the guitar work on Repair Shop. He does have a log in on here which I can't remember but he has posted about a couple of the repairs he's done. 

They had a 60’s Jazz bass fixed up too recently.
    Ex Hot Chocolate? I might be dreaming that especially as the HC chap usually used a Rickenbacker. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 828
    The Hot Chocolate episode made me cringe when he took a spokeshave to the back of the neck??
    And the ex Auschwitz violin episode, where he planed the finger wear off the board, despite the board being a separate piece, he could have put on a new board and preserved the original worn item.
    Weird decisions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    They did a saxophone, in an episode I watched recently. That was pretty cool..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Just watching the bass repair when he took a spokeshave to the neck. That made me feel uncomfortable.
    Just watching the bass repair when he took a spokeshave to the neck. That made me feel uncomfortable.
    Every time, and I think putting the decal on was a mistake too.
    Funny how the restoration involved putting back all the bits that are lost when you actually try and play the thing, but at least the parts are there, and down the line it can be sold as a complete 60's Fender.
    All kinds of wrong really.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    David Kennet from Flame Guitars usually does the guitar work on Repair Shop. He does have a log in on here which I can't remember ... 
    @Flame_Guitars

For completeness, here’s the thread which David posted last time the episode was broadcast https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155351/bbc-the-repair-shop-restoration-of-a-mid-60s-fender-jazz
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 774
    The old valve radio amp was a good episode too. A real character of a repairer.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'll check that out. I love watching the programme.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Just watching the bass repair when he took a spokeshave to the neck. That made me feel uncomfortable.

If you look at the thread Roland linked above he said that it was splintered to the point you could cut your hand.
    I understand that the show was edited, so we didn't see the full story, but I think I would have approached it with a fill and stabilise, rather than a re shape of the whole neck.
    The show seems to have a very mixed approach to restoration, and each case is treated differently,  I was talking to my mother about this, and I told her the story of EVH Frankenstein, she pointed out that it could have been treated to a full vintage refin if it had been taken into the repair shop, made me laugh anyway.
  • crunchman said:

If you look at the thread Roland linked above he said that it was splintered to the point you could cut your hand.
    Thanks, I saw Roland's link which he posted after I made my comment. Tough decision, still made me feel uncomfortable though. I concede a reshaped neck would look better than the original with a plug, and to an extent it doesn't matter that it's been reshaped if it's for his son to play as he's not may not be strictly interested in selling it etc. Still made me feel uncomfortable though