2020 Les Paul Tribute

What's Hot
T.T.T.T. Frets: 2
Hi all...

I purchased a new Gibson Les Paul Tribute* in Tobacco Sunburst earlier this year for £850 from a prominent U.K guitar store.

*Not the "Studio" Tribute by the way!

After putting my preferred brand of 10's on it and making a few adjustments I feel that it plays great. It has a certain mojo that other axe's I have owned just didn't.

The only issue was the sticky neck that needed playing in / light rub with a kitchen sponge to smooth.

It's not the greatest guitar in the world but it is a damn good Tribute.

Does anyone else share the opinion that these are good guitars, or is anything less than a Standard just firewood?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Look great, if you don't mind them being semi hollow (sort of). Happy new guitar day! 
  • T.T.T.T. Frets: 2
    Look great, if you don't mind them being semi hollow (sort of). Happy new guitar day! 
    It's still not a light guitar even with the weight relief. The resonance may or may not affect the output... 

I once owned a Hagstrom that was heavier than any Gibson I have handled.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited September 2020
    T.T. said:
    or is anything less than a Standard just firewood?
    Far from it. If it's the Les Paul I think it is, I think they look great. I particularly like the lack of binding.
    That's the one. 
    They come with the pickup poker chip in the bag, not attached. It went straight on along with strap locks.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    pics please
  • I prefer the look to the currently trendy mega-figured custom shops that seem popular for sure. I'm not big on binding either, I think these are among the more attractive les pauls to be honest. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited September 2020
    Nice, I like the look of these ones, the natural wood reveal binding on the edge of the cap looks really classy I think. I love a good plaintop too, never really been into super flamey looking things. The rounded neck profile is one of my favourite Gibson ones. Weirdly it looks like they only put it on their tribute models, everything else is either slim taper or 50s baseball bat style. Not sure if I'm into the satin/open pore finish as much as the classic Gibson gloss nitro though.
  • T.T. said:
    Look great, if you don't mind them being semi hollow (sort of). Happy new guitar day! 
    It's still not a light guitar even with the weight relief. The resonance may or may not affect the output... 

I once owned a Hagstrom that was heavier than any Gibson I have handled.
    I had one that weighed nothing. 
    Can remember the year. It was a 50s tribute I think with p90s

It was an excellent guitar and very playable. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Certainly not firewood. You pay a lot of money for that binding, AAA flametop etc Nothing wrong with the Studio either. I have a faded brown Studio and it's great. There is something wrong with referring to a guitar as an axe though.  :#

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    I’ve got a slightly older Gold Top Tribute and I think it’s great. 

Definitely it’s own thing rather than just a cut-down Standard. The non-grain filled satin finish has a lovely “organic”, tactile quality to it over shinier, “better” alternatives.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    The neck has converted me from only liking slim C's to this rounder shape.
    Maybe it's an over 40 transition!

Not at all like the baseball bat that many Gibson's have.
    Strangely, the nearest neck to this I have played was on a Hagstrom Swede.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    T.T. said:
    The neck has converted me from only liking slim C's to this rounder shape.
    Maybe it's an over 40 transition!

Not at all like the baseball bat that many Gibson's have.
    Strangely, the nearest neck to this I have played was on a Hagstrom Swede.
    Not a fan of those slim 60's necks. Bit too much like an SG. You can get used to either though. A couple of weeks of playing a slim neck and you like it better than a fat neck and vice versa. Maybe that's just me. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• merciful-evansmerciful-evans Frets: 419
    edited September 2020
    They seem great. Just found this: (hope it works)

edit: didnt work so here is a simple link to last years Andertons demo/review
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=WdXGsJC4oZs&feature=emb_logo

Nice to see regular grain tope again too. 

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    I haven’t played one but I really like the look of these. I like the clean look of not having any edge binding.
    The Satin Iced Tea colour looks good too: https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/gibson-les-paul-tribute-satin-iced-tea
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good guitars these, played one at PMT and really liked it. 
    I prefer plain tops, esp a white one like James Dean Bradfield’s 
    I believe the satin iced tea has a sprayed red neck. I like the top but wanted one with the maple neck visible. 
  • I have a 2017 and I absolutely LOVE it. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    T.T. said:
    I believe the satin iced tea has a sprayed red neck. I like the top but wanted one with the maple neck visible. 
    Yes your correct, it looks much nicer on the the Tobacco Sunburst.  I’m not generally a fan of staining wood either, much prefer its natural colour.