The Jam - Paul Weller playing a Vox Teardrop 12 string!

More musings on Paul Weller's guitars/amps while in The Jam.

Here's a clip of a re-recorded version of 'Tonight At Noon'. It's not live, but not the version from This The Modern World album, is it re-recorded as a possible single? Never seen Weller with this guitar before a Vox Teardrop 12 string with AC30s still in the backline so 1978 I reckon:

And here is a live clip of The Jam playing 'A-Bomb In Wardour Street'. I guess from early 1979 while touring in Europe to promote All Mod Cons which was released in November 1978.

Weller is playing through a Roland JC120. I am now convinced that Weller used a JC120 on some of the songs on All Mod Cons as well as the Peavey Backstage for some of those distorted overdub lead lines. 

On the live recording from Reading University on the Fire & Skill box set I reckon it's the JC120 as well as that gig was January 1979 shortly before this TV shows would have been recorded as it was the sole UK warm gig for the European tour, you can hear he is using the JC120s chorus at times at the Reading gig.

By the November 1979 tour after recording Setting Sons at Townhouse Studios Weller had switched to the 100 watt Marshall stacks and the heavy distorted tones that can be heard on gigs from late 1979, as seen here at the Manchester Apollo 1979 20/21st November 1979:

Here's a list of The Jam gigs for each year:

https://thejam.org.uk/home/live/the-gigs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks for uploading this. Weller borrowing some of the lyrics from the 60s "Mersey Poet" Adrian Henri. Was playing my Rik 12 earlier today and this sort of clip reminds me why I struggle on with the thing. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265
    edited September 2020
    And here's another clip I've not seen before, live at PinkPop festival 26th May 1980, Marshall backline and the legendary black Ric 330 now with painted black pickguard that was his touring guitar right to the end in 1982, here it still has the regular R tailpiece, later swapped for a stop bar:

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    I've never seen that before. The Vox12 is a rarity. No idea he used one. Even to mime with. What TV show is it from? 
  • rze99 said:
    I've never seen that before. The Vox12 is a rarity. No idea he used one. Even to mime with. What TV show is it from? 
    No idea!

• rze99 said:
    No idea!
    There's a longer version on YouTube. Looks like it's from a US tv show.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99 said:
    Maybe he borrowed it off Will Sergeant...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Ive never seen that Tonight At Noon before, OR heard that version (which I prefer actually to the recorded version - much clearer).

Remember, back then, you had to re-record for a ‘live’ TV performance... maybe thats what this is. Almost certainly from the USA, as Ive seen photos before.

Never EVER seen Weller with a Vox 12 string.

Good spot @RandallFlagg !!
  • Ive never seen that Tonight At Noon before, OR heard that version (which I prefer actually to the recorded version - much clearer).

Remember, back then, you had to re-record for a ‘live’ TV performance... maybe thats what this is. Almost certainly from the USA, as Ive seen photos before.

Never EVER seen Weller with a Vox 12 string.

Good spot @RandallFlagg !!
    Yep, it's a cracking version, would love to have that in high quality audio.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8356
    edited September 2020
    rze99 said:
    No idea!
    The TV programme where they're doing A Bomb was a Belgian one called Follies.

Great footage...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Iamnobody said:
    rze99 said:
    Maybe he borrowed it off Will Sergeant...
    Or got it from Brandolini