Compton or TrueArc bridge for 53 Duo Jet?

What's Hot
Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481
I'm not enamoured with the stock bridge of my Gretsch 53 VS Duo Jet. Does anyone have experience of using a Compton or TrueArc on a Duo Jet? If so, which particular variation of it and was it worth the upgrade cost?

Also, I prefer a wound 3rd on a Gretsch so how well will it intonate with those replacement bridges?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited September 2020
    Or the dBridge, made in the UK as well, so no import duty. 

Though the website is down at the moment .

Here is a thread on one of the Gretsch forums talking about it https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/db-bridge-the-finest-bridge.194986/page-2

AFAIK you send him a photo of a correctly intonated Tuneomatic on your guitar and he makes a one piece bar bridge notched to correspond to the saddle locations
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My personal preference is Compton for hollow bodies, and solid bodies with non-pinned/fixed bridges. 

For pinned bridges, I love the Tru Arc Serpentune Lowrider. 

Never heard of dbridge. Might get around to trying one. 

I actually have a spare Compton right now, designed for 12” Radius necks, and larger bridge posts (Gretsch Pro Jet etc).  Was thinking of putting it on my SG, but could be prized out of my hands for a humble offering. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481
    Or the dBridge, made in the UK as well, so no import duty. 

Though the website is down at the moment .

Here is a thread on one of the Gretsch forums talking about it https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/db-bridge-the-finest-bridge.194986/page-2

AFAIK you send him a photo of a correctly intonated Tuneomatic on your guitar and he makes a one piece bar bridge notched to correspond to the saddle locations
    I’ve not heard of that one. It looks good. Thanks.

TheMarlin said:
    My personal preference is Compton for hollow bodies, and solid bodies with non-pinned/fixed bridges. 

For pinned bridges, I love the Tru Arc Serpentune Lowrider. 

Never heard of dbridge. Might get around to trying one. 

I actually have a spare Compton right now, designed for 12” Radius necks, and larger bridge posts (Gretsch Pro Jet etc).  Was thinking of putting it on my SG, but could be prized out of my hands for a humble offering. 
    It’s a pinned bridge on the ‘53 (even though not historically correct). The Serpentune Lowrider was one that caught my eye but looked to be shaped for a plain third so I was sure how that might intonate with a wound third. Any thoughts on what bridge metal choice would suit the 53? Existing bridge is ally over hardwood.

Would a Compton that suits the larger posts of a Pro Jet fit a repro ‘53 correctly?
  • Any, but my favourites are Titanium and Steel. Never tried brass or copper.  They’re all good, just different flavours of good.  But Titanium is worth it, sounds wonderful 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 123
    Having never been down this particular rabbit hole I really fancy this style of bridge for my JF 6120. It seems fairly flat, anyone familiar with which radius this would be? Db guitars web site is showing a holding page right now, what’s the best source for a Compton?and do they come in gold.....