PSA - Washburn N4s in stock at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 7727
One for the Nuno fans.  I remember someone was wanting to try an N4 recently - unusually, one of the UK guitar stores actually has a few in stock rather than just offering them to order in.  

Price is vaguely reasonable too, at a mere £1999.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/12122214582419--washburn-n4-vintage-nuno-bettencourt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    A Floyd Rose 1000 series on a £2.5K guitar!!!!

Nah!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    That does seem a bit miserly.
  • Cols said:
    Not only that, but the bridge pickup is a mass-market, inferior version of the original Bill Lawrence pickups.

I'm a massive fan of the N4, but there's no way I'd buy one of these. Hell, they're not even made by the Washburn Custom Shop any more, the production's outsourced.
    <space for hire>
    Cols said:
    Not only that, but the bridge pickup is a mass-market, inferior version of the original Bill Lawrence pickups.

I'm a massive fan of the N4, but there's no way I'd buy one of these. Hell, they're not even made by the Washburn Custom Shop any more, the production's outsourced.
    I take your point.  Fortunately I got mine while the Chicago Custom Shop was still making them, and replaced the stock bridge pickup with a Bill and Becky 500XL made by Bill Lawrence before he sadly passed away.

For me the best things about the N4 are the neck and the Stephens Extended Cutaway; I trust the contract manufacturer is able to get these parts right.
  • Washburn for some reason would cheap out on the Floyd rose when it came to their expensive custom shop stuff (save for a few models).

I remember my old WI556. That also had the FR1000 and that guitar cost £2000 new in 2008. It worked well enough but you would feel a bit 'cheated' by it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    Cols said:

USA, or elsewhere?  I've no idea where Washburns are made nowadays, they've completely lost any sense of brand identity.
    Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:

USA, or elsewhere?  I've no idea where Washburns are made nowadays, they've completely lost any sense of brand identity.
    I believe they’re outsourced to a shop in Cincinnati, Ohio run by a luthier called Chris Meade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    I was asking a while back how i could get to try one, thanks @Cols
    If the trem and pickup specs are not great for new models, is trying one at least a good guide to the neck and general feel of an older one? To enable me to either stop looking or continue wondering...

@darius - should give you a good idea, although the neck profiles did change over time.  I believe 90s/early 00s were thin, and they moved to a thicker profile around 08/09.

The Floyd Rose can be upgraded, and Bill Lawrence’s wife and daughter are still making ‘proper’ 500XLs.
  • Stevepage said:
    Washburn for some reason would cheap out on the Floyd rose when it came to their expensive custom shop stuff (save for a few models).

I remember my old WI556. That also had the FR1000 and that guitar cost £2000 new in 2008. It worked well enough but you would feel a bit 'cheated' by it.
    My old BC Rich Gunslinger had an ofr on it, and that retailed for about £500 iirc. 
  • Cols said:

For me the best things about the N4 are the neck and the Stephens Extended Cutaway; I trust the contract manufacturer is able to get these parts right.
    If those are the bits you want, I suspect a second hand Parallaxe would sort you out, about £1500 cheaper.
    <space for hire>
  • Did the originals have Schaller trems? I know Washburn used own brand ones in the '90s for ages and they were shit.
  • They would've done. The old Washburn Dimes had schallers too. Very good trems
  • Yeah, the German made Schaller systems are probably the best of the bunch,  especially for consistency.
  • The 4N and Authentic still come with the Original.
    Think GuitarGuitar recently had a batch of 4N's in at the same price, but looks like they're gone now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    stonevibe said:
    Did the originals have Schaller trems? I know Washburn used own brand ones in the '90s for ages and they were shit.
    Didn't they use the Kahler Steeler bridge for a while (the one which was Kahler giving in and essentially making an exact Floyd copy)?
  • Philly_Q said:
    stonevibe said:
    Did the originals have Schaller trems? I know Washburn used own brand ones in the '90s for ages and they were shit.
    Didn't they use the Kahler Steeler bridge for a while (the one which was Kahler giving in and essentially making an exact Floyd copy)?

I had an N4 with a Steeler on it. Nightmare of imperial-sized bolts!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.