NGD.

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2521
edited September 2020 in Guitar
Last weekend I went to Peach and absolutely fell in love with this Suhr. 

It’s a dealer select Alt-T. 

What’s really nice about this is there isn’t any daft serial numbers or anything, it’s just a limited run with absolutely killer specs. 

Semi-hollow Swamp Ash body. 
Transparent butterscotch. 
Roasted Maple neck and fretboard
Coil splits on neck and bridge. 
Five way toggle switch:
Bridge - split bridge - neck and bridge - split neck - neck. 
Thornbuckers in both positions. 

Its light. Really resonant. Bright. Deep etc. But... the thing that really stands out is the sheer way this thing growls. It has a midrange that I’ve never heard from a guitar before. I have no idea if it’s the pickups or a combination of everything but whatever it is, this is a special guitar. It plays so well, it sounds unbelievably true, the construction is flawless as you’d expect from Suhr. 

Originally I saw it on one of Peach’s unboxing videos and for some reason it really grabbed me. I don’t know why. 
I organised an appointment with Peach and put it on the list of things to try out. 
It was the last of the guitars I tried in my time there and as soon as I was handed it I said “oh no...” 
I knew I was going to buy it. 

This is the first T-style guitar I’ve owned. Is the most “different” guitar I’ve owned. Typically I don’t like the sound of Telecaster Deluxes, but this is completely different. The twang is still there. You can noodle in positions 2 or 2 all day and feel like you have the spankiest Telecaster; choppy rhythms and characterful solo tones, and then you can engage either humbucker and it’s just huge. It reminds me entirely of a well sorted Les Paul. 

Tonally, it is brutish. It’s really aggressive and meaty but with a flick of a switch and a roll of the volume you’re into country cleans and wiry single coil bluesy chops, and airy clean sounds. Switching to drop D, it’s as you’d expect. Thunderous. The way chords ring out on this guitar is something that I’ve never experienced before. They have a vocal quality. Like a gravelly rock singer that’s smoked 20 Marlboros per day for the last 10 years, softened with a touch of whisky from the night before. It’s got a rasp in the lower midrange which totally belies it’s rather clean shaven appearance. 

Ive held off on the NGD post because this all sounds very gushing, but I can imagine this dominating my playing time going forward. It’s an incredible instrument, it has a little bit of exclusivity and it’s a no-frills powerhouse of a thing. 

I’m absolutely smitten with it. If I hadn’t have bought it I would have regretted it. 

Lets see if I can add some pics. 

https://imgur.com/a/JtEn8gJ

https://imgur.com/a/QEoQ2xi

https://imgur.com/a/LcoscE8

Edit... I tried to embed in the post but it wasn’t working. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6938

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    That's fricking lovely. Congrats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ditto, cracking guitar, it looks...right :)
  • Congratulations. I love these. The dealer select is just the right mix of the older spec and the new spec.  I nearly was going for the Sonic Blue one but it seems relatively heavy.
    I am still swithering because I would have to p/x something.
    Did I pick up from the video that there is a shell pink one on the way?  
  • Lovely. Wouldn’t mind putting one of those through it’s paces myself, sounds a very versatile instrument. Enjoy.
  • tidy!  :)
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 446
    edited September 2020
    Wow! That dealer select model looks the business. Great colour.

You mentioned this was the last guitar you tried and the best. What other guitars did you try? 
  • That looks quality mate, congrats! 
  • Very very nice. Specs look great. Suhrs t-types just look right as well, congrats!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Onpar said:
    Wow! That dealer select model looks the business. Great colour.

You mentioned this was the last guitar you tried and the best. What other guitars did you try? 
    Well, this is a culmination of a search that has taken a few months. 
    I’ve played an awful lot of guitars in that period. 

I initially wanted a R8/9 Les Paul. So the 60th Anni models were appealing. I tried out dozens of them. 

I’ve tried a lot of custom shop Les Pauls.
    I’ve also tried a lot of custom shop Fenders. 
    I also tried a lot of random Suhrs and PRS’ etc and anything else that took my fancy, really. 

I’d say I’ve tried 50/60 guitars. 

The Gibson’s were all disappointing/a let down. This Suhr is a superior instrument. Not even close. 

The particular day I bought this guitar I tried out a PRS Custom 24 35th Anniversary. A Suhr Modern Custom, A PRS SC 594 and this Alt-T. 

I also tried the other 2 dealer select Alt-T’s once I decided that that was definitely the guitar I was going to buy. Interestingly the other two sounded slightly different. Probably the wood combinations, though. 

None sang like this one. It’s the most interesting guitar I’ve owned, and whatever this combination of materials and components was borne of, fucking hell they got it right. 
    On the outset it’s got a plainness to it, like it’s not real fancy or anything. Playing it and hearing it is a completely different experience. I’m floored by it. It really is THAT good. I’m very, very happy with it. 
    I’ve owned some nice guitars. This is the best. I love my Les Paul Custom and  my Suhr Classic Pro, but this is such a comfortable halfway house between them that I really have no reason to play anything else. 
  • Congrats @Nerine, you have a lovely guitar there. I ordered a custom built Alt-T from Peach a couple of years back and it's an addictive guitar. So versatile too. I genuinely find it hard to identify a single weakness with mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom