1994 Sunburst Strat 40th anniversay

What's Hot
keithfkeithf Frets: 375
Guys, Whats the approx value of the above, ?
My mate has asked me to move one on for him and i'm seeing them 
at hugely different values
T i a 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Is it an actual 40th Anniversary Strat - or just a 1994 USA Standard, which all had the '40' flag badge on the headstock and a neckplate with "40 years and still rockin'" on it?

The former is worth quite a lot, the latter only the same as any other USA Standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• keithfkeithf Frets: 375
    its a 40 flag badge model as far as i can tell

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    keithf said:

Effectively the 39th and 41st are the same guitar as the 40th as @ICBM suggests - For that one year Fender applied what is now known as the 'banner' headstock logo - Good condition + original with case and they can fetch £700/800 - I've seen higher asking prices but those prices baffle me a touch 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    keithf said:
    Just a USA Standard that happens to be from 1994. Every one made that year had them - I had one... a particularly nice Caribbean Mist green.

There is a lot of confusion about it - some deliberate, by unscrupulous sellers - hence the widely differing prices.

The actual 40th Anniversary Strat is a 50s-style vintage reissue, which only came (as far as I know) in 2-tone burst with a maple neck, there's no badge on the headstock, and the neckplate says 40th Anniversary. They were a limited edition of 1,954.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• keithfkeithf Frets: 375
    Brill, Thanks guys.I know where to price it now.
    thanks again.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    edited September 2020
    ICBM said:
    keithf said:
    Just a USA Standard that happens to be from 1994. Every one made that year had them - I had one... a particularly nice Caribbean Mist green.

There is a lot of confusion about it - some deliberate, by unscrupulous sellers - hence the widely differing prices.

The actual 40th Anniversary Strat is a 50s-style vintage reissue, which only came (as far as I know) in 2-tone burst with a maple neck, there's no badge on the headstock, and the neckplate says 40th Anniversary. They were a limited edition of 1,954.
    Thanks for the reminder about the "real" 40th Anniversary Strat, I think I remember it being reviewed in an early issue of TGM and it sounded great, but not something I could have afforded in those days.

I had an American Standard with the 40th Anniversary headstock banner (it was a sunburst, actually) and it was probably the worst USA Standard I've owned - but that was just bad luck, I'm not claiming it was actually a "bad year".
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    keithf said:

Thanks for the reminder about the "real" 40th Anniversary Strat, I think I remember it being reviewed in an early issue of TGM and it sounded great, but not something I could have afforded in those days.

I had an American Standard with the 40th Anniversary headstock banner (it was a sunburst, actually) and it was probably the worst USA Standard I've owned - but that was just bad luck, I'm not claiming it was actually a "bad year".
    Yes the actual 40th Anniv was a take on the 54 without being an exact replica - In the style of is a better phrase - And sell for well over 1K - But even so many try to add some additional vibe the Strat Std banner headstock models as though it is some superior model - They made 1000's of them and as I mentioned earlier, there is no difference between a 1993/94 and 95 Strat Std - But a decent example can fetch £700/800 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited September 2020
    Similar thing happened on the 2004 50th Anniversary. Fender put a '50th Anniversary' stamped neck heel plate on every Strat it produced that year but there were only 3 bona-fide 50th Anniversary USA Strats, all with two tone sunburst and maple necks, (two came in a special 50th Anniversary tweed case; the Custom Shop version came in a form fitting case), and one 'MIM' Aztec gold strat that came in a special cream gig bag.  All the rest were just regular Strats.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 625
    Voxman said:
    Similar thing happened on the 2004 50th Anniversary. Fender put a '50th Anniversary' stamped neck heel plate on every Strat it produced that year but there were only 3 bona-fide 50th Anniversary USA Strats, all with two tone sunburst and maple necks, (two came in a special 50th Anniversary tweed case; the Custom Shop version came in a form fitting case), and one 'MIM' Aztec gold strat that came in a special cream gig bag.  All the rest were just regular Strats.  
    Spot on @Voxman ; I have the two limited edition USA 2004 50th anniv strats & lust after the gold MIM too. 

Very common to see normal year 2004 strats being passed off as the limited editions. If people don't research correctly it is easy to get confused and not get what you think it is. The 2006 Diamond anniv strat/tele have the same issue if you are not careful. These came in the unusual silver 60th anniv case and had the jewel in the headstock so were way easier to try differentiate from standards