Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bought when drunk on e bay , the winner....and people are bidding on it !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• So..... what is it really? 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475

Any idea what it actually might be?
    Not sure - possibly Chinese.

This is a real one - notice how much sharper the pickup rout is, and the gap at the end of the tenon. (It's a reissue, but originals are the same.)

This is a Chinese Epiphone with similar 'soft' shaping.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099

^ The routing on the Chinese Epi looks almost like it was done freehand - on more likely with a template, but as quickly as possible without taking care at the corners.  Which is surprising in a way, I imagine Chinese production as being highly automated.

Going back to the eBay guitar, whatever it is, it's interesting that it's got an ABR-1 style bridge and pretty convincing-looking shrunken tuners.  Somebody's put quite a lot of work into it, whatever their perverse reasons.

Philly_Q said:

Going back to the eBay guitar, whatever it is, it's interesting that it's got an ABR-1 style bridge
    That's the first thing you'd change on any Chibson since the slotted bridge posts are the most well-known 'tell' other than the binding nibs - which not all Chibsons have either.

Philly_Q said:

and pretty convincing-looking shrunken tuners.
    Not if you look closely - they aren't shrunken, just covered in brown goo. The screws are wrong too - heads too large.

Philly_Q said:

Somebody's put quite a lot of work into it, whatever their perverse reasons.
    The reason isn't hard to guess... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_Q said:
    It's fascinating how fucked-up it is.  How on earth did it get into that state?
    Yeah what's been done to it?

@ICBM all points taken!  :)   I wasn't sure about the tuners, I first thought they were shrunk, then that they were just aged, then I went back to shrunk again. 

I suppose I was looking at it as merely a curiosity that someone's done for fun, but I guess if they are trying to "genuinely fake" a knackered vintage guitar, then it does all make sense.

Philly_Q said:

I suppose I was looking at it as merely a curiosity that someone's done for fun, but I guess if they are trying to "genuinely fake" a knackered vintage guitar, then it does all make sense.

They're trying to get it close enough that some fool will think there's a chance it could be a genuine 50s one and pay far too much for it. No-one would go to that amount of trouble to disguise its origins just to have a curiosity to hang on the wall.

If the current seller's story is true (who knows...) then it's worked at least once.

• Now at £370 :D :D :D 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    edited September 2020
    The truss rod cover has some writing in it?
    The truss rod cover has some writing in it?
    "Do not immerse in water."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1236
    £820 now. Bargain 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1236
    Surely even if it was an old LP the best restoration could only enable you to say some wood from an original LP is now encased in this new guitar. Suppose logic isn’t the name of the game
  • Serial suggests a 59 or a 59 reissue but zero feedback also suggests that the guitar doesn't exist.
    Currently at £820, there are at least two guys out there banking on it being an original, because at that price and in that condition a reissue wouldn’t be worth it
  • I guess it's evidence that someones time machine at least goes up to eleven .
     Sadly some of the bids look rather suspect .
    When logic and proportion
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    edited September 2020
    ICBM said:

Any idea what it actually might be?
    Not sure - possibly Chinese.

This is a real one - notice how much sharper the pickup rout is, and the gap at the end of the tenon. (It's a reissue, but originals are the same.)

This is a Chinese Epiphone with similar 'soft' shaping.

The square ended tenon  and lack of wiring channel in the neck pickup cavity add to the wrong shaped cavities in the listing.  Also the rear control cavity is far from correct 

Cavity shapes can be changed by later mods (i.e. a p-90 to HB conversion) but its hard to imagine the tenon shape or wiring channel being affected in such a way.

• Astounding.
    Judging by the punctuation/grammar in the description, seller is still under the influence.