Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

new refin day! Aka third time lucky

What's Hot
This was sprayed about a month ago, but I've had a bit of time today to screw it all back together. I oiginally built this for 5 string open G, at gigs where I wasn't happy bringing my Greco Zemaitis. 

Its a 2 piece swamp ash body, with bound flame maple neck.

Here the best pics I have of 'incarnation 1' - natural / relic-y body with black headstock and a number 3 screwed to it

I then decided to refinish it in Fiesta red - obviously there were numerous screw holes and gig wear to get rid of, but it came up nicely. MkII:

Well, I guess lockdown got to me more than I'd like to admit. I also had some unused Sherwood Green nitro from a separate project, and a BB Guitar Labs 'Evil Kiss' pickup to replace the Wilkinson (which still sounded good, but the BB is better).

Remember when it was sunny?

BEHOLD:

This is my favourite look so far - so for the meantime, its how it'll stay. Thanks for looking!

Matt

www.theflyingacesband.com
0reaction image LOL 24reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tha looks superb, well done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely the best look it has had, colour suits it well. Great job!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6463
    Duly WOWd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I love all 3 of those incarnations... the blue is my favourite though, that's stunning! :+1: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10235
    Looks really cool. Stunning neck 
  • Lovely.  Have a Wow.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• 19791979 Frets: 91
    That is really cool, well done 
  • Definitely the best incarnation, looks ‘right’ now, as if all the parts have come together. 
  • Looks ace man. 

That red is the reddest thing I’ve ever seen! 

How do you guys get finishes done well? 
    I mean I’ve sprayed a pickguard before, roughed the surface up a bit, used a rattlecan primer, then black spray then a clear coat on top. 
    All rattle cans from b&q. 

Did the whole lightly sand in between coats thing. This was about 6 years ago, and the finish is still what I’d call soft.

ie can scrape it off with yer nail.. or make an indent easily. 

I guess with proper technique and better paints..
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

It does look really nice, but the red and white version is my favourite.

My team play in red and white.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    skunkwerx said:
    Looks ace man. 

I mean I’ve sprayed a pickguard before, roughed the surface up a bit, used a rattlecan primer, then black spray then a clear coat on top. 

Did the whole lightly sand in between coats thing. This was about 6 years ago, and the finish is still what I’d call soft.

B and Q rattlecans are shite, I pretty much always use paint from the local supplier the car resprayers, they mix it into rattle cans, huge choice of colours, really good coverage.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• skunkwerx said:
    Looks ace man. 

I've never sprayed a pickguard but I imagine that it would be hard to get the paint to stick properly: I think if I was going to try that I'd use one of the enamels that you can get from modelling shops and suchlike.

When I've used rattle cans to spray guitars in the past I've used Plasti-Kote, that's usually come out pretty well - although I always ended up with runs and ripples somewhere, as I never had the patience to go slowly enough! It needs so many coats of lacquer to end up with a proper hard finish, too.

I got @lamf68 to do the refin on my Performance, and he did an absolutely stunning job - albeit one that he wasn't happy with. I've posted photos of it loads of times on here, I think it looks the tits (although I don't have it any more). I'd recommend him to anyone

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skunkwerx said:
    Looks ace man. 

I've never sprayed a pickguard but I imagine that it would be hard to get the paint to stick properly: I think if I was going to try that I'd use one of the enamels that you can get from modelling shops and suchlike.

When I've used rattle cans to spray guitars in the past I've used Plasti-Kote, that's usually come out pretty well - although I always ended up with runs and ripples somewhere, as I never had the patience to go slowly enough! It needs so many coats of lacquer to end up with a proper hard finish, too.

I got @lamf68 to do the refin on my Performance, and he did an absolutely stunning job - albeit one that he wasn't happy with. I've posted photos of it loads of times on here, I think it looks the tits (although I don't have it any more). I'd recommend him to anyone
    Deffo refrain from posting that image for a while! 
    It looks bleedin awesome. Sparkly orange wasnt it? With the black hockey-esque headstock..

It makes me want for things I shouldnt lol.  

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerx said:
    Looks ace man. 

Haha, I know what you mean but it really wasn't that violent in person. Just my poor skillz at photographing stuff. 

Getting a halfway decent finish - and mine above is far from perfect - is about 98% sanding, 2% paint. I use rattle can nitro from either Northwest Guitars or our very own @SteveRobinson, it goes on very thin and dries quickly. Cans from Halfords etc do not do that. There's a wealth of info on Steves site, give it a read and you have en excuse to paint something :) .

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    That’s a great looking guitar Matt, love the colour and the white tips on the tuners, very classy! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Love that colour, this is definitely the best version of the 3.
  • Wow sherwood green looks amazing :+1:
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    I thought it looked slick in red, but yeah that looks fantastic now!! 
  • skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Looks ace man. 

Deffo refrain from posting that image for a while! 
    It looks bleedin awesome. Sparkly orange wasnt it? With the black hockey-esque headstock..

It makes me want for things I shouldnt lol.  

Well I haven’t got the guitar any more so I don’t really have much excuse to post it now...
    You’re right though, it was very sparkley and very orange, with a black hockey/banana/whatever you want to call it headstock :)

• That’s a great looking guitar Matt, love the colour and the white tips on the tuners, very classy! :)
    Praise indeed! Thank you Neil, I had to step away from the router as I contemplated adding binding too... maybe if we get a second lockdown