Hopeless P90 lover

What's Hot
The first decent guitar I ever had was a wine red 1969 SG Special with P90’s. It sounded bloody lovely, and I loved it to bits. Sadly, I started a job which meant I couldn’t guarantee to be off every Friday and Saturday nights, so gave up on playing, and sold it.

Many years later I bought an SG Standard, and converted it to P90’s, but as expected, never managed to reproduce that sound. A few weeks ago, I had Spotify on and it played “Faith Healer” by Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Zal Cleminson always had a great tone, using a similar 60’s SG, and now I’m gassing ‘cos I want that ‘69 Special back again. I went from ignorant to craving in the 7 minutes it took the track to play.

Yes, I know P90’s are noisy, but they just sound so good. Bollocks. :s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 466
    I was a tele player for years but I haven't played almost no other guitar since I got this SG Special last year.
    I don't love the neck pickup but the bridge pickup is just fantastic.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    p90s are the best.  Minimal hum while you're not playing is a very small price to pay considering the tones to be gained.

That said, like most nostalgia, you might not ever get the tone that you remember.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep a big P90 fan here too. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    The whole “P90s are too noisy” schtick is nonsense spouted by people who made the wrong choice and are trying to make themselves feel better. 

Go and get some P90s in your life right now. In an SG is great but they sound just as good in pretty much anything else too. 
  • dazzajl said:
    The whole “P90s are too noisy” schtick is nonsense spouted by people who made the wrong choice and are trying to make themselves feel better. 

Go and get some P90s in your life right now. In an SG is great but they sound just as good in pretty much anything else too. 

You’re spot on.

Sadly, I haven’t got anything I could drop a pair into right now, so it would have to be an outright purchase, and as I’m already trying to thin the stock, I’m not sure I could get it past the management monitoring system.

Reckon I’m gonna have to keep gassing for now and hope it passes.

Although........it wouldn’t be the first time me and our other guitarist have.....ahem.... told a little white lie when confronted with the, “Oh, yeah, so you’ll be telling me next that belongs to Bob”. Last year I had four Les Paul’s, two Charvels, a MesaBoogie combo and a Strat round here while his divorce was finalised.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited September 2020
    I love P90s. Used to gig my LP with Bare Knuckle humbucker size ones all the time, never had any issues with excessive noise for that. The only thing stopping me going for them in my main guitar now is I'm playing heavier stuff with more gain these days which could end up being a bit noisier, and I prefer the tightness of a humbucker for metal. For anything lower gain I think P90s are unbeatable. So much nicer than a normal scooped twangy singlecoil.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2472
    2 of my 8 electrics are P90-powered.

The best guitar I’ve ever had to walk away from (could no way afford it) was a 60s SG Special I played in Manson’s a couple of years ago. I feel the OP’s pain...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32382
    I think they're shit.
    :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    edited September 2020
    I had gas for an SG and always wanted to try P90’s, was very tempted by the Gibson Pelham blue SG special but didn’t really want to fork out that much on a whim ,then I saw the Epiphone version at GG for £329 and took a punt...absolutely love it, better quality than my Tele Player, lovely finish no fret problems or buzzing and sounds great.
    Might be worth you taking a look.

Also thought at that price I could maybe have a go at doing my own upgrades without worrying too much about cock-ups! Not sure I need too though.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5032
    p90fool said:
    I think they're shit.
    :)

Then you're a fool. ;)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5032
    Only two with P90's at the moment...

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6463
    The P90 Gas is strong here too at present - I too have a B&G 'Lil Sister, and an ES125 - but that Rivolta/Fano RB6 shape calls out to me, as does the neck p/u of a Deusenberg Starplayer (in Red Sparkle of course)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited September 2020
    P90s - All the drawbacks of single coils combined with all the drawbacks of a humbucker

I do like them - have a pair of Bulldogs in my Probett and it sounds great - but in general I prefer Filtertrons for the inverse of the above statement.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    The fatness of a Gibson with the clarity of a Fender.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    edited September 2020
    P-90s are a relatively recent revelation to me. Two of my guitars have humbucker size 90s in them now and I love them. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Love P90s. I have a few quotations with them. I used to have a 68 sg special back in the early 80s. 
    Sold it to fund a new Strat. A few years ago I bought an SG Classic with P90s Excellent and not expensive. Sounded even better when I upgraded the harness. 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 347
    edited October 2020
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFv9JheHNtT/

What do you make of these McNellys?

Edit - sorry, not aware of how to embed Instagram.
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    edited October 2020
    Me too. I made a partcaster just so I could have some P90s.
    https://ibb.co/DCQs7Zb
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    Sassafras said:
    The fatness of a Gibson with the clarity of a Fender.
    This exactly
  • My partcaster has an alder body, birdseye maple neck with ebony fretboard, and A500k pots.
    The pickups are made by Tesla. Not that Tesla, but a Korean pickup maker. I swapped out the Alnico V magnets for A2.
    There's plenty of bite, and lovely warm mids. I like to crank up the gain on the amp, and set the guitar volume to around 7 or 8. Sounds killer.