Even Harley Benton gets bootlegged nowadays

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3691
Found these on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flamed-Green-Maple-Electric-Guitar-Telecaster-TE-GB-Hybrid-Fusion-P90-Humbucker/324312609730

which are bootleg copies of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hp_42_signature_tt.htm except without a roasted maple neck. Same body shape even the same cuts, also a fixed bridge, HP90 config, knobs and selector in the same place. What a weird world we live in where even a cheap brand like HB gets bootlegged.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is pretty amazing, isn’t it? Although I must admit, my first thought looking at the eBay pictures was “is it actually a fake, or are we just seeing the difference between Thomann’s promo shots and an actual HB?”

I quite fancy one of those, tbh: they seem to be a lot of guitar for the money
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Likely just the same factory offering the same options to different customers.   Someone probably ordered a batch with lower spec than the HB models

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    WezV said:
    Likely just the same factory offering the same options to different customers.   Someone probably ordered a batch with lower spec than the HB models
    Or maybe some leftover bodies from the Thomann orders that they repurposed with a cheap neck to make some money from them.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Change the pickups and it’ll sound just like....
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    On a more sensible note. I used to own a Harley Benton electric mandolin that appeared, from the pictures at least, a copy of other manufacturers instruments that cost several times more. I expect that the more expensive ones did have better electronics (they couldn’t possibly have been worse) and a neck that wasn’t shimmed with wood shavings and old washers...
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    On a more sensible note. I used to own a Harley Benton electric mandolin that appeared, from the pictures at least, a copy of other manufacturers instruments that cost several times more. I expect that the more expensive ones did have better electronics (they couldn’t possibly have been worse) and a neck that wasn’t shimmed with wood shavings and old washers...
    yeah, i had a HB mosrite-ish baritone that was almost exactly like a model Eastwood were selling for a lot more at the time... but it clearly had much worse hardware than the Eastwood equivalent
  • WezV said:
    drofluf said:
    yeah, i had a HB mosrite-ish baritone that was almost exactly like a model Eastwood were selling for a lot more at the time... but it clearly had much worse hardware than the Eastwood equivalent really liked those Eastwood guitars, italia were another interesting brand. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    I love the look of that. I wonder what they play like. 

I assume that the factory in China (presume) who make the HB's will also churn out similar guitars for whoever orders them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:

I assume that the factory in China (presume) who make the HB's will also churn out similar guitars for whoever orders them. 

For £139 I'm kind of tempted, although the heel looks particularly clunky...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• carlos said:
    Or maybe both are just cheap copies of these https://www.thomann.de/hu/suhr_modern_plus_hsh_pf_tbd.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • But those stripes on the side of faux binding are interesting, gotta be some kind of photo-flame thing, or who knows, maybe they paint it by hand...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    carlos said:
    Or maybe both are just cheap copies of these https://www.thomann.de/hu/suhr_modern_plus_hsh_pf_tbd.htm
    Yes, that's the point I was making although this 22 fret, fixed bridge, p90/humbucker model is not the same as the suhr
  • steer said:

I think you're exactly right. The headstock is the same as the Harley Benton 'T-type' guitars too. If I remember correctly, the bloke whose signature it was wasn't happy with an early batch or the first couple of prototypes from a particular factory, or something of the like... maybe they produced a few and are selling off some excess stock?

• steer said:

I think you're exactly right. The headstock is the same as the Harley Benton 'T-type' guitars too. If I remember correctly, the bloke whose signature it was wasn't happy with an early batch or the first couple of prototypes from a particular factory, or something of the like... maybe they produced a few and are selling off some excess stock?

I'm still thinking I should give it a try... what's the worst that could happen? :lol:

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I bought a Flying V from that seller at the old price of £99. After extensive work to the bridge, fitting Epiphone pickups and new tuners it's a bona fide Flying V copy in all it's glory.
  • But those stripes on the side of faux binding are interesting, gotta be some kind of photo-flame thing, or who knows, maybe they paint it by hand...

Apparently it's a piece of flame maple veneer they use as binding. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Guitar is made by Charley Benton, the black sheep of the Benton luthiery dynasty.

Play authentic, play Harley Benton! 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But those stripes on the side of faux binding are interesting, gotta be some kind of photo-flame thing, or who knows, maybe they paint it by hand...

Apparently it's a piece of flame maple veneer they use as binding. 
    I find it hilarious if we are really at the point where we have faux-faux binding.

Not to mention that binding with a strip of flamed maple is probably the hardest way to bind a guitar. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited October 2020
    I heard the Japanese even resorted to photographing  bits of wood and sticking it on real guitars .
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4634
    edited October 2020
    I used to like those fender foto flame strats that came out around 94 95 was it ? I remember seeing them in a magazine and desiring one , they ended up selling in some shops for around £299 I think.  Thinking about this I recently did a search on eBay thinking I would see if there was one going cheap,after all who would want a foto flame ,knowing how fussy guitar heads are .

anyway the cheapest they seem to go is around £500 but most seem to be about £700 wtf

Some are asking near £900 for what finally went for about £300