NOGD - Maya ES335 copy

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
I picked this old thing up on a bit of an impulse today.

It was found in a skip apparently! Not by me unfortunately - so I did pay the finder for it. I believe it's late 1970s or very early 80s at the latest - I haven't looked for pot codes or anything yet.

It's not one of the 'good' ones - bolt-on neck, and the body is almost entirely hollow with just a block under the bridge - but it's in quite nice condition and it all works... mostly. There is just one serious problem - the neck joint has collapsed slightly (they're prone to this - you can see where it's buckled the pickup ring) and so the neck is about 1/4" too far into the body - and even with the bridge saddles as far back as possible, the intonation is miles out. But of course, since it's a bolt-on this can be fixed without too much work.

Now... I don't actually like 335s really, I've always found them rather ungainly, with far too much body behind the bridge so they're too heavy and don't balance well. I prefer 330s - but this is so light that it doesn't seem anywhere near as big as a 335 normally does. I also prefer the trapeze tailpiece to the stopbar, and wine red is my favourite colour for them, so - assuming it turns out OK when I've fixed the neck - there's a reasonable chance I might keep it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20596
    Nice find. I don't have a Maya 335 type, but as I have a couple of Hondo Revival's I don't mind.
    Be interesting to hear your opinions once you have 'breathed on it' a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it certainly looks nice. Does it have a super skinny neck though? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Well it certainly looks nice. Does it have a super skinny neck though? 
    Yes.

Which is how I like them :). I'm a big fan of Rickenbacker and old Matsumoku Aria necks, so this one is near perfect - 40mm wide at the nut. I'd maybe prefer 41... but it's close enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's cool if you like them. I had something pretty similar in the past that looked lovely and sounded very 60s but the skinny neck gave me hand cramp☹️
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Harry will have it if you don't like it @ICBM

Those late 70's copies nearly all had a trapeze tailpiece - Not so much better or worse, but just a sign of the times - They did not think to copy anything from the 'golden era' as the vintage market barely existed - So they effectively copied a current model, hence the trapeze - And this was par for the course with Antoria etc etc- Enjoy the working trying to put it straight
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited September 2020
    I had a posh one all in gold and posh  binding on a burst body bought new in 82  .It had a set neck .Played  fine but the "ebony  " board looked like it was wearing out  quickly  so I took it back and swapped it for a new JV strat instead  in Antique white .Much better.Sadly the JV went when I had a few mortgage payments to find during Maggie T's dubious financial policy ,oh well .I also had a Lead II which bit the Thatcher dust around that time .Let them eat cake .
    That's cool if you like them. I had something pretty similar in the past that looked lovely and sounded very 60s but the skinny neck gave me hand cramp☹️
    The late-60s Gibson ones do, for me - they're not only even narrower, they're usually very shallow too. This one is at least reasonably full depth.

I really can't get on with the currently fashionable 'fat' necks though.

Harry will have it if you don't like it
    lol. Probably :). I expected Kittyfrisk might too ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My spidey senses are tingling...
  • Harry will have it if you don't like it @ICBM

More than a possibility... :lol: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Harry is expressing an interest??

Me vs Harry  ;)

Who Was the Tank Man of Tiananmen Square - HISTORY

• Which one is you?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    The sartorially untanked one.
     I once tried the ' By the power of Greyskull' trick too & breaking the Elder wand, to no avail.
    Resistance is futile...
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1193
    edited September 2020
    I remember playing a Maison which, if memory doesn't fail me, had similar construction and it sounded really good. So sometimes, these things do surprise you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
     Harry is expressing an interest??

Me vs Harry  ;)

Who Was the Tank Man of Tiananmen Square - HISTORY

Mark IV World War 1 tank by Piitas on DeviantArtsurely this is the type of tank @HarrySeven would have
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This might possibly be closer to Harry's usual acceptance restoration condition
    A T-72 tank destroyed by NATO forces just outside Benghazi Libya Stock  Photo - Alamy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Kittyfrisk - True, that...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

tFB Trader
    A heist for the history books how true was Kellys HeroesHarry with his tank and crew on a mission as 'oddball' A heist for the history books how true was Kellys Heroes
  • :smile: 

Bugger. Just taken some measurements and it seems that even with the neck moved back to the correct position, the bridge is still too far forwards. So I'll have to move that as well... more work than I really wanted! But at least I prefer a further-back bridge :).

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15266
    EITHER part it out and sell for profit
    OR take it onstage for your encore à la Ritchie Blackmore.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.