NOGD - Maya ES335 copy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    EITHER part it out and sell for profit
    OR take it onstage for your encore à la Ritchie Blackmore.
    The parts probably aren't worth enough, it's better whole. It is fixable, just more work than I really factored into how much I paid for it, which is my own fault... :)

Actually moving the bridge also means I can fix the sideways misalignment I've just noticed as well ;).

Look on the bright side, I've had to move the bridges on a couple of Gibsons too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    EITHER part it out and sell for profit
    OR take it onstage for your encore à la Ritchie Blackmore.
    The parts probably aren't worth enough, it's better whole. It is fixable, just more work than I really factored into how much I paid for it, which is my own fault... :)

Actually moving the bridge also means I can fix the sideways misalignment I've just noticed as well ;).

Look on the bright side, I've had to move the bridges on a couple of Gibsons too!
    Gibson themselves have had to move the bridge before - Even during their own golden era - I saw it a couple of years ago on an early 60's ES335
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Bugger. Just taken some measurements and it seems that even with the neck moved back to the correct position, the bridge is still too far forwards. So I'll have to move that as well... more work than I really wanted! But at least I prefer a further-back bridge :).

It occurs to me that shimming the neck and raising the bridge would result in a slight increase in string length (Pythagoras and all that) - not sure if the extra would be significant enough to overcome the problem. Have you ever taken this approach to sort out a fractionally short bridge?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Could you squeeze a harmonica bridge on the existing posts without it fouling the bridge pickup? Would be period-correct too
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    steamabacus said:

It occurs to me that shimming the neck and raising the bridge would result in a slight increase in string length (Pythagoras and all that) - not sure if the extra would be significant enough to overcome the problem. Have you ever taken this approach to sort out a fractionally short bridge?
    No, it makes no significant difference. The problem larger than that anyway - about 5 or 6mm.

Also, I hate steep neck angles - one of the nice things about this one is that it's almost flat.

MattNovak said:
    Could you squeeze a harmonica bridge on the existing posts without it fouling the bridge pickup? Would be period-correct too
    No, and the post size is wrong. And I don't like them either :).

It's coming on a bit today - I've glued an end block into the pocket to keep the neck in the right place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 222
    Have seen this in the flesh. It's looking good!