On the subject of Bigsby’s .....

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    Bit late but just been getting a B5 to behave, trying to give it a bit of a work-out here.
    Liking the squishy spring feel, got to get one for my own B5 Tele

http://corvusguitarworks.com/images/misc/h2.mp4

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Man alive: those roll bars will be the new Staytrem.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Corvus said:
    Bit late but just been getting a B5 to behave, trying to give it a bit of a work-out here.

I'm liking your guitar sound there! Made me think of the Cult.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Corvus said:

Nice!
    tFB Trader
    Cheers chaps, @axisus that's all down to a Huber belonging to @digitalkettle it's got some great filtertrons in it - good shout on the Cult thing!
  • Corvus said:
    Cheers chaps, @axisus that's all down to a Huber belonging to @digitalkettle it's got some great filtertrons in it - good shout on the Cult thing!
    Yep, this has got the Callaham mods on it but it's still misbehaving for various reasons...hence the trip to @Corvus ;)

I'll post a pic when I collect (unless Bill wants to post one in the meantime).
    tFB Trader
    Here we go, a great-looking guitar -

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Corvus said:

Crikey! That’s nice!
    Lovely guitar. They all look great in this thread!
  • Corvus said:

Domed thumbwheels?
  • Corvus said:

Oh good grief that's attractive 
    tFB Trader
    Domed thumbwheels?
    They're flat wheels on the roller bridge (ABM I think? DK can confirm). It does seem to move a slight fraction of a gnat's curly one mainly because I feel the Bigsby's mounted too close for comfort and there's a load of stiffness & force in the strings acting on it. It must return OK though, must be helped by the roller bridge and probably the tension bar roller.
  • Corvus said:
    Domed thumbwheels?
    They're flat wheels on the roller bridge (ABM I think? DK can confirm). It does seem to move a slight fraction of a gnat's curly one mainly because I feel the Bigsby's mounted too close for comfort and there's a load of stiffness & force in the strings acting on it. It must return OK though, must be helped by the roller bridge and probably the tension bar roller.
    Yes, I think the bridge is ABM...the middle of each saddle is actually a brass roller.
    Corvus said:

Oh good grief that's attractive 
    Very much so
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited October 2020
    Having got rid of my two Bigsby equipped guitars I’m now torturing myself with my first Gibson vibrola. It’s a short one and I’ve got domed thumbwheels and nylon saddles ordered for an ABR1. 

Normally it’s a wrap over bridge with short vibrolas for some reason - but I’m happy with the aesthetics of the short vibrola over the usual ABR/long Lyre combination.

Wish me luck!

That Huber is very nice. ^

I’m sure I’ll have another Bigsby guitar one day though. I do love them - they just look right on certain guitars. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    I don’t understand the love for soft springs at all - I’ve always found a Bigsby feels better and returns to pitch better with a stiffer spring. I’ve made several of my own from cut-down air rifle springs of the right diameter, they’re far stiffer than the stock one. You can make them a bit taller too, which gives more downward bend range. I did it originally when I acquired an old Bigsby with the spring missing back when it was hard to buy spares and had to find something that worked, but found I much preferred it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I don’t understand the love for soft springs at all - I’ve always found a Bigsby feels better and returns to pitch better with a stiffer spring. I’ve made several of my own from cut-down air rifle springs of the right diameter, they’re far stiffer than the stock one. You can make them a bit taller too, which gives more downward bend range. I did it originally when I acquired an old Bigsby with the spring missing back when it was hard to buy spares and had to find something that worked, but found I much preferred it.
    Well, we all like different things I guess. I'd love to try an even softer spring but I haven't found one yet. It will probably feel wrong but I'd still give it a go.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    It's been a while since I had a bigsby on a highly upgraded Epiphone Sheraton and I think I remember it fondly. Aesthetically, I love them. I'm hankering after another dose of bigsby in my life but I'm not totally sure. How much of the bigsby experience can you get from one of the cheaper no name copies? Would it be an idea to pick up one of those and then try out a couple of upgrades on it? Thinking of b5 type,
    ICBM said:
    Might give that a go on my flat tops + B5s actually, to raise the bar a bit. I've tried washers but can't it as high as the B7s on my arch/carve tops
    tFB Trader
    You can get a taller OEM spring, I think 1", which can help a bit. Or the flat/blade arms are pretty soft and easy to bend to tweak the angle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom