412 cabinet advice

What's Hot
AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
edited October 2020 in Guitar
I'm thinking about getting a 412 cabinet for my office / music room. It'll mostly be used at low volumes as the opportunity to gig it before the 44th Octember seem pretty remote at best... but it might get gigged occasionally.

So, I'm after some advice - do they work at low volumes? It'll be connected to a Laney TT50 head or Laney IRT Studio, depending up how the mood takes me.

From a pure vanity perspective it will have to say "Marshall" on the front, and I'll be buying used as they seem to be sooooo cheap at the moment as no-one else wants them.

I generally play the Metal side of Rock - Iron Maiden, Foos, and if it wasn't that originally, it is after we have done our version of it.! (having looked at our set lists, a lot isn't really metal to start with, but we improve on that!)

Any recommendations, and anything to avoid? Any speaker recommendations too?

Oh, and max width about 730mm ideally to fit in the space I have for it.

Thoughts????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Yes, they sound great at low volumes. They have a naturally big, space-filling sound even at a whisper.

I would get a bog-standard 1960A (unless you really like the look of B cabs and/or need to put something much larger on top of it) with G12T-75s - they're a naturally scooped speaker and quite loose so they don't need to be driven at all hard to sound good. Also by far the easiest and usually cheapest Marshall cab to find.

If you want to tighten it up and make it better for potentially gigging I would replace two of the speakers with V30s in an 'x' pattern - the combination is fantastic for hard rock and metal, and it works equally well at low volume as high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2801
    Any thoughts on 2no. 2x12's for ease of transportation?

A bit shite, or still passable?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Adey said:

Passable, but for proper hard rock or metal you want a proper 4x12"... you just do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Personally, out of all the Marshall cab's I've played through, I’ve preferred the old 800 4x12s to newer Marshall ones.  They don’t sound so muddy to me. Although, at one point I used to own two 800 cabs and the one certainly sound betted than the other.  
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 275
    Yeah 4x12’s sound great at low volume, I’m tempted to get another for a full stack!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    ICBM said:
    Adey said:

Passable, but for proper hard rock or metal you want a proper 4x12"... you just do.
    I have recently come to this realisation
    Yeah. Prob a mad suggestion from me. 2 212's would look a bit lame probably.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    Yup, though I picked up my old 4x12 earlier today, to move it and remembered why I don't move it very often these days!
    Casters...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    Adey said:
    Casters...
    Stairs...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adey said:
    Yeah. Prob a mad suggestion from me. 2 212's would look a bit lame probably.
    I think you need the internal volume of one 4x12 cabinet to get the same thump. Not the same if it's split into two
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Marshall MF400 is my favourite 4x12 ever for Metal/Rock. It's big though.
    Picking up a 1960 412 tomorrow morning - £70...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adey said:
    Bloody hell where did you find that?
    stonevibe said:
    Adey said:
    Casters...
    Stairs...

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    stonevibe said:
    Adey said:
    Casters...
    Stairs...
    Backache
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited October 2020
    Adey said:
    Bargain! Its hard to go back once you've experienced a 412 cranked up with a decent amp although for most purposes I'm sure a 2x12 is fine. A 412 with casters is easier to move than a 212 as well, unless you're getting it up stairs or in the car!