Surprisingly effective upgrade - Tusq

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    WezV said:
    In terms of tone.... I always favour ones that make a nice plink sound when dropped on the worktop.  PRS talks about this too

Some plastics make a dull thud, throw them away.  Thankfully the really soft ones seen rare these days,

Tusq isn't one of them.  It sounds fine.  It is noticeably soft to work, which makes it easy to shape.  Just need to be careful not to cut too deep if you are used to working on bone.

I much prefer bone once fully set up

thegummy said:

The thing that puts me off bone is that it's natural so not perfectly consistent. There could be some hollow bubbles or less dense parts within the bit used for the nut with no way of knowing afaik.
    Thigh bone from cattle is normally used.  Its designed to support 1500lb animals.  Inconsistencies do happen the closer you get to the marrow, but its pretty rare in the stocks sold.
    Cows aren't designed ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17497
    thegummy said:
    WezV said:
    In terms of tone.... I always favour ones that make a nice plink sound when dropped on the worktop.  PRS talks about this too

Some plastics make a dull thud, throw them away.  Thankfully the really soft ones seen rare these days,

Tusq isn't one of them.  It sounds fine.  It is noticeably soft to work, which makes it easy to shape.  Just need to be careful not to cut too deep if you are used to working on bone.

I much prefer bone once fully set up

thegummy said:

The thing that puts me off bone is that it's natural so not perfectly consistent. There could be some hollow bubbles or less dense parts within the bit used for the nut with no way of knowing afaik.
    Thigh bone from cattle is normally used.  Its designed to support 1500lb animals.  Inconsistencies do happen the closer you get to the marrow, but its pretty rare in the stocks sold.
    Cows aren't designed ;)
    No, you are correct and therefor my point was totally worthless.   Well done you ;) :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    WezV said:

No, you are correct and therefor my point was totally worthless.   Well done you ;) :D 
    Well, I chose to make a light hearted comment, but if you insist - the fact that the whole skeletomuscular system of a cow can support the animal's weight is in no way indicative that a small sliver of bone from the leg of that animal will have consistent density.

Then again, maybe if you drop the sliver of bone on a table and listen to the pitch it makes you can tell what colour the cow was?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17497
    thegummy said:
    WezV said:

Well, I chose to make a light hearted comment, but if you insist - the fact that the whole skeletomuscular system of a cow can support the animal's weight is in no way indicative that a small sliver of bone from the leg of that animal will have consistent density.

Then again, maybe if you drop the sliver of bone on a table and listen to the pitch it makes you can tell what colour the cow was?

Apologies for my sensible contribution to the topic at hand.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    thegummy said:
    WezV said:

No, you are correct and therefor my point was totally worthless.   Well done you D 

Made plenty of bone nuts yourself from scratch or just pedantically blowing hot air?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom