Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Left handed kids - teach them to play right handed?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    euan said:
    It’s always telling that one of the top reasons to learn right handed is a materialistic one. 
    It’s about availability rather than money.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    Brad said:
    P.s I do actually care about other instruments, I think there should be left handed everything smile
    Hmmmm interesting! So a piano would have bass on the right?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Sporky said:
    I wonder if there is (potentially) an advantage to fretting with your non-dominant hand, in that that hand us usually stronger. Dominant hand mostly does the finer control stuff.

Probably too much a generalisation to be useful other than as something to ponder. 
    After fifty something years of playing my left hand is substantially stronger than my right. Although that’s probably a chicken and egg debate. Your point about fine motor control does need pondering.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    I think it comes from bread and violins. You hold it with your left, and saw it with your right. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited September 2022
    euan said:
    It’s always telling that one of the top reasons to learn right handed is a materialistic one. 
    Well no. I saw some people passing around an acoustic guitar and playing songs to each other and I wanted to be able to join in. Quite the opposite of

Edit: misread your comment sightly. I would say accessibility instead of materialistic though
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    viz said:
    Brad said:
    P.s I do actually care about other instruments, I think there should be left handed everything smile
    Hmmmm interesting! So a piano would have bass on the right?
     Was being ever so slightly silly, but yeah! Given  technology these days, it can’t be beyond us to be able to reassign a keyboard at the touch of a button? Maybe it’s possible already? Would make for an interesting experiment for left hookers anyway! 
  • Another lefty playing righty here. I think the strongest argument made so far is choosing a instrument that inspires a new player to keep on playing. There's definitely an advantage in being able to play the vast majority of available guitars, but this doesn't need to be a deciding factor. I used to make the argument that there weren't left handed pianos, then I fact checked myself:

https://www.sheargoldmusic.co.uk/kawai-announce-new-left-handed-piano/ :astonished: