F hole cad drawing

What's Hot
I know most would use a template to cut f hole , but I need a cad drawing with all dimensions , radiuses etc  to scale it down for what I need .
Does anyone have a such drawing available ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    There's one here
    https://www.electricherald.com/diagrams/es335/Gibson-335-Body-Front.pdf

You can open a PDF in most vector drawing applications and convert to DXF or whatever
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    There's one here
    https://www.electricherald.com/diagrams/es335/Gibson-335-Body-Front.pdf

You can open a PDF in most vector drawing applications and convert to DXF or whatever
    Do you know of the app that would convert it into a cad file ?
    I have tried 4 apps  from top of the list in Google play and didn't get much luck to convert that file. 
    Don't worry @SteveRobinson ; , I got it converted . I might need to use full desktop cad software , as the cad app don't see any dimensions. 
    tFB Trader
    I use Inkscape on PC. It has a tape measure tool that allows you to measure elements in the drawing
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Did you get sorted with your CAD conversion/drawing?
    M1ck said:
    Conversion yes , but the file being pdf and not a proper model means I cant get necessary dimensions to scale it down. 
    My mate reckons he can scale it down and place the F hole pattern where I want it to be and is going to look into this for me .

Do you happen to have a drawing for this?
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    If you or a friend has access to AutoCAD (full or LT) you can insert the PDF then trace over the f-holes using circles and splines. A little tedious but then you can scale up or down as desired and with all dimensions shown.
    Jazzthat said:
    M1ck said:
    Conversion yes , but the file being pdf and not a proper model means I cant get necessary dimensions to scale it down. 
    My mate reckons he can scale it down and place the F hole pattern where I want it to be and is going to look into this for me .

Do you happen to have a drawing for this?
    No - but I can probably do it for you.
    edited October 2020
    I am pretty sure we can work this out with the help of my mate . He does this for living  
    The proper model would make this helluva easier job for me to extract data , like for example full length radius , rather than just a tiny part of it , which causes more problems then good .
    On the first photo , that part of it should be normally highlated in full and  seen as the radius not angle .

edited October 2020
    Jazzthat said:
    I am pretty sure we can work this out with the help of my mate . He does this for living  
    The proper model would make this helluva easier job for me to extract data , like for example full length radius , rather than just a tiny part of it , which causes more problems then good .
     No problem, just thought I’d try and get a bit more involved with the forum.
    Just in case you or your mate didn’t know, AutoCAD only works in straight lines, arcs, ellipses and circles take a lot of processing power, AutoCAD gets around this by making them in short lines and identifying them internally as arcs, ellipses or circles for editing and dimensioning. The arcs etc. can get ‘broken’, depending on import settings, which is what you are showing in your pics. If you are just after controlling the shape for scaling you could try the ‘JOIN’ command this should make a single line from your shape, though any gaps in the geometry will stop this from working.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    I've got autoCAD and I've imported the 335 body. if you know the length of the f hole you need I can scale it and PDF it to 1:1 scale.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader

Slightly confused about what you're looking for here, are you looking to put this into a CAD Cam system and then on to a CNC to make it? You can of course load in the full size F hole then tell the system your using different cutting tool, a few practise cuts and I'm sure you get to the size you need.

If not surely the simplest way to do this is load the PDF into a PDF reader and scale it down to whatever size you want, then print it out and you can take the measurements from that. Or you could scan the print out into your CAD Cam system and that will work out the tool paths of the new size of the F hole.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

tFB Trader
    I'm not sure either!

Here is the F-hole imported into InkScape.

and after simplifying the paths:

M1ck said:
    Jazzthat said:
     No problem, just thought I’d try and get a bit more involved with the forum.
    Just in case you or your mate didn’t know, AutoCAD only works in straight lines, arcs, ellipses and circles take a lot of processing power, AutoCAD gets around this by making them in short lines and identifying them internally as arcs, ellipses or circles for editing and dimensioning. The arcs etc. can get ‘broken’, depending on import settings, which is what you are showing in your pics. If you are just after controlling the shape for scaling you could try the ‘JOIN’ command this should make a single line from your shape, though any gaps in the geometry will stop this from working.
    We are using Edgecam software , so he'll be able to do it I suppose . 
    At the moment he's a bit busy so hopefully next week . We'll see :)
    benvall said:
    I've got autoCAD and I've imported the 335 body. if you know the length of the f hole you need I can scale it and PDF it to 1:1 scale.
    Oh that's cool ! I'll send you a message if it all goes sideways .
    GSPBASSES said:

Slightly confused about what you're looking for here, are you looking to put this into a CAD Cam system and then on to a CNC to make it? You can of course load in the full size F hole then tell the system your using different cutting tool, a few practise cuts and I'm sure you get to the size you need.

If not surely the simplest way to do this is load the PDF into a PDF reader and scale it down to whatever size you want, then print it out and you can take the measurements from that. Or you could scan the print out into your CAD Cam system and that will work out the tool paths of the new size of the F hole.

GSPBASSES said:

Well , the plan is to scale f holes to around 25mm + -  . Then cut this in on CNC .
    The way it works with software is quite straightforward , which my mate will hopefully sort it out for me .
    The way I wanted to do , was to take points of cad drawing ( straight lines , arcs etc ) and type them in manually into CNC . 

tFB Trader
    Why not just import as-is and scale to size?
    I'm not sure either!

Here is the F-hole imported into InkScape.

and after simplifying the paths:

I am afraid there is not necessary information there for manual programming on CNC , hence question about a proper model of F holes . 
    But thanks for your time taken , much appreciated .
    tFB Trader
    Why not? All the modern CNC software I've used just traces the outline of a vector drawing. Why the need for manual coordinates?