String spacing and polepiece alignment

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 7727
The Schaller bridge on my Les Paul allows for adjustment of string spacing.  Naturally I would set them so that the strings pass directly over the polepieces, but setting it like this for the bridge pickup means the top and bottom E strings are slightly offset for the neck pickup and pass slightly to one side of their polepiece.

What would be the best way to set the string spacing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I'd set the spacing so that the strings run true down the neck and not worry too much about them being over the polepieces as it doesn't make much difference if any to the string volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Both aspects annoy the hell out of me! 

I’d probably get it as centred on the neck though as I think that annoys me more, ie each E string equidistant from edge of board, then maybe adjust it a little so it helps with the pole piece alignment. Both would then be marginally off. 

Neither is really an issue unless one of the e strings is too close that it slips off. 
    Or, you notice a string doesnt sound so good not passing over the pole piece. 

I’d just try for a happy medium. 

Visually for me that is my idea of hell though. 
    Fully covered humbuckers solve my mental problems lol.. providing the strings align along the neck..

My Lp junior I can mess with the saddle as its not notched and luckily both line up well. Same for my tele. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Thanks guys; I’ll align it to the neck.  The fact that my signal doesn’t disappear on bent notes gives me a bit of confidence that the pole alignment isn’t critical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom