Neural Quad Core thing demo

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I still think the switches are too close together

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    edited March 2021

1. No separate power amp/pre amp models. This is potentially a big deal for me as I normally play with a power amp and cab, and in my experience power amp modelling on top of a power amp with a guitar cab is not as good a mix as without. 

Helix has pre amp models for this reason. 
    Kemper has many different types of models addressing this. 
    FM3 you can turn it off. 

So this is actually a big issue for me. And currently there's no way to actually differentiate between the types of capture. Be it pre amp, power amp etc. 
    I was chatting with Doug Castro on TGP about this, and his response was...

"There is plenty of preamps and power amp captures on the device already actually, I've enjoyed combining them quite a bit actually."
    The captures yea. But in regards to modelling, it may be that the thing isn't as good for actually modelling with a traditional cab compared to other devices. The way I use modellers is kind of an afterthought so it may not be as good as the FM3. I'll have to wait and see. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27030
    edited March 2021

1. No separate power amp/pre amp models. This is potentially a big deal for me as I normally play with a power amp and cab, and in my experience power amp modelling on top of a power amp with a guitar cab is not as good a mix as without. 

FM3 you can turn it off. 

So this is actually a big issue for me. And currently there's no way to actually differentiate between the types of capture. Be it pre amp, power amp etc. 

"There is plenty of preamps and power amp captures on the device already actually, I've enjoyed combining them quite a bit actually."
    The captures yea. But in regards to modelling, it may be that the thing isn't as suitable for actually modelling with a traditional cab. I'll just wait and see I think. 
    Kinda depends how good the captures are compared with the modelled amps. By all accounts, they're pretty accurate and they're preamp/power amp only, not including the cabs so you can mix and match - the only trick is that you don't get the same parameters with a capture that you'd get with actual models. Is that what you're referring to?
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17852
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:

has a few potential durability issues like side vents and a flimsy external PSU
    Just on that subject...is it fan-cooled, like the Headrush? And whether it is or not...how does it handle 30-35 degree ambient temperatures?

I'm just cynical - whenever anybody makes a claim that a new bit of kit is the most powerful ever, I tend to wonder how much heat it's kicking out and capable of handling (and whether it throttles). The Headrush clearly had a problem with passive cooling, which makes the fan a massive single point of failure.

That's a very good point.

The keyboard player in my old band had a keyboard that was superb except that if you played a festival in summer it would constantly overheat and reboot.

That gets old fast.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    So essentially a few issues. 

FM3 you can turn it off. 

2. While the sounds do sound good, the FM3 is just a more complete package and I know it sounds great. I won't use the capturing and I actually prefer modelling because I have more control over the sounds. 

3. Ultimately it's just a new shiny toy. The connectivity and touch screen are alluring, but sounds and effects surely go to the FM3. So I'll give it a year, see how it goes once all this honeymooning is over we can see what people actually think and reassess. 

I think that's smart. 
    Judging by the various Helix groups most people using a power amp are using the full amp model in the helix.
    Maybe they are using reasonably flat power amps rather than flavoured ones but in almost every thread I've seen on the subject it's always been the entire amp model.

FM3 you can turn it off. 

The captures yea. But in regards to modelling, it may be that the thing isn't as suitable for actually modelling with a traditional cab. I'll just wait and see I think. 
    Kinda depends how good the captures are compared with the modelled amps. By all accounts, they're pretty accurate and they're preamp/power amp only, not including the cabs so you can mix and match - the only trick is that you don't get the same parameters with a capture that you'd get with actual models. Is that what you're referring to?
    Yea essentially. I guess I'm just not quite sure how it'll sound and I want a bit more info. 

The FM3 also has Cyngus to come to it and the new drives, pitch etc so the QC has a lot to beat. The touchscreen and connectivity is a biiiig draw for me. 
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 368
    edited March 2021
    A couple of things putting me off at the moment:
    You can’t have a set level going from the XLRs to FOH and a separate signal with controllable level just for your 1/4” monitor outs for your FRFR etc. Kemper has this sort of thing totally sussed.
    Reports that the touch screen can be glitchy. This would drive me mad, I had noticed on some video demos that the screen had to be touched several times before it reacted...
    I’m firmly in the ‘wait a while and see how it develops’ camp...
    Well I haven't cancelled yet. 

Doug Castro has said they are ready to ship them. Batch one of tier two has started shipping. 

Andertons saying end of April. Then another person says they got an email from them saying mod April. 

GuitarGuitar say May. I emailed them again, no response. No update. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2449
    They’re going to have to go some way to sound and feel as good as the new Cygnus firmware with the AFX3 IMO. 

Will be interesting to see how they catch up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    They’re going to have to go some way to sound and feel as good as the new Cygnus firmware with the AFX3 IMO. 

You're enjoying it on your Axe then?
    FarleyUK said:

You're enjoying it on your Axe then?
    Yeah - I normally can’t tell any difference, and certainly think Cliff and his cult can be rather ‘blinded’, but it certainly sounds and feels improved - and it was already bloody great to begin with. 
  • In what way is it improved? I'm no snob, I'd buy an Axe III as well if I had the money!! :lol:

Bye!

Why not the FM3 and one of the dozens of aftermarket footwitches? The thing is extremely innovative and 3 switches are really 9. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited March 2021
    I agree the AFX3 new firmware is a real improvement but I prefer the QC amp and drive models and captures.  Just sounds better to my ears, and feels better to play. Both excellent but I've been recording quite a lot and not used the AFX3 since getting the cortex (although totally appreciate the honeymoon period thing..) 
    In what way is it improved? I'm no snob, I'd buy an Axe III as well if I had the money!! :lol:
    It’s hard to explain... it’s more ‘chewy’ and responsive I’d say. Really hard to describe it though, but it sounds and feels awesome. 

I pretty exclusively play the Plexi and JCM based models, with an occasional BE and HBE thrown in. 
    Yea I use a BE model for most things and a Small Box for my clean. I guess they just sounded good so I've set and forgot about it. 
    Just received an update from Andertons - they're estimating end of May now, based on what they say Neural have told them.
    That’s for the new orders. Old orders are still expected to ship in the next 10 days to retailers and be shipped to customers by mid April. I received an email from Guitar Guitar today saying they’ve received confirmation from Neural that they will be getting a shipment mid April, and I’ll be receiving one of those. 

But who knows. 
  • Guitar Guitar have said on the website they're expecting stock in May now. But when I asked the other day I was told the end of the month - I wonder if I managed to sneak into the mid-April stock, or if I'll have to wait until May?

Bye!

I think it’s best to email them, and take it with a pinch of salt.