P90s with no hum

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    While no stacked or side-by-side humbucker will ever sound identical to the single coil it’s emulating, I think they can get a lot closer than popular wisdom says.

I once compared a Gibson LP Smartwood with P100s to a PRS McCarty Soapbar with P90s, and they were surprisingly similar-sounding despite the reputation of P100s. They seem to have been improved at some point - I don’t know exactly when - I also had a LP Junior with one of the first ones and it was awful.

And there are better options than P100s now too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited October 2020
    Depending on the guitar Ilitch do a silent single coil system to fit a Les Paul cavity. Suhr licensed their silent single coil system from them & they work well. Only down side is the pickups you choose must not be rwrp or else it won’t work - but it does give you freedom of choice. Not cheap though!

The Illitch system is nearly prohibitively expensive over this side of the pond. I priced custom one for use in a hollowbody with P90s and including postage and import duty it would have been the most of 400 quid or more.

They also seem to have abandoned their dealer network so it is only possible to buy direct from them, though occasionally one turns up second hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom