Pulled the trigger a custom build.

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 961
This is one I have battled with for some time due to cost and depreciation etc. I was originally looking at something tasty from PJE, PRS, Gibson to celebrate my 40th, but what I had in mind was coming in at 4500GBP+. I started looking at Aussie builders whilst i'm here on secondment. It took me a while, but I have landed on an awesome guy called Andrew Hobson (https://www.hobsonguitars.com/) who is a carpenter and does custom builds as a labour of love on the side. So my order is in! 

I wanted something personal and reflective of my time here in Australia (I may be coming back in the New Year).I have gone for a droptop super strat style (like the PJE 96, Anderson Angel etc). Aussie Redwood back, Quilted maple top, Flamed maple neck. Hipshot hardware. Pickups TBD. The colour is a very cool burst fade across the guitar which runs from a natural to turquoise.....looks like a shallow aussie beach if you catch my drift? The neck is a choice of Ebony or stripped Ebony (I think the former) and an inlay of my choice around the 12th fret (also to be decided as want it personal but not tacky). Compund radius. Total build price is a smidge over 2500GBP. 

Will post some progress pics as the build progresses. I appreciate it may sound garish to some...but I am trying to balance the design so it remains classy and not bling. You guys can decide if I succeed.    
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds good to me :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve two custom builds that I commissioned. I love them and think it’s a great decision if you don’t think you will move them on. Sadly, his gallery won’t open on my ipad.

Just off to pick one of them back up this morning :)

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamsGuitars/photos/a.1317105365010297/3347862738601206/?type=3&theater
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    A carpenter?   Watch out he doesn't sneak a couple of drawers in the back of it ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A carpenter?   Watch out he doesn't sneak a couple of drawers in the back of it ;-)
    Hope Steve Vai isn’t reading this. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Even more impressive is that his website is from the future!

The copyright says 2023!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106

The copyright says 2023!
    I noticed that too.  The guitars look good, he certainly has his own style.
  • There are some gorgeous looking instruments in his gallery. He obviously has some talent
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Noice !  

Start looking for a battered old flightcase to bring it back in ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    I’ve two custom builds that I commissioned. I love them and think it’s a great decision if you don’t think you will move them on. Sadly, his gallery won’t open on my ipad.

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamsGuitars/photos/a.1317105365010297/3347862738601206/?type=3&theater
    That is a stunner! 
    Thanks guys. I know a custom order is the equivalent to choosing to buy a brand new Nissan Cube in terms of value retention (and I'm very much about not losing money in the guitar world!) but I have thrown caution to the wind and treating myself. If anything, i'm less likely to be tempted to sell it on impulse if I lose a shed of money.

He's really passionate and we're choosing every detail together. We're going through the quilted drop top woods at the moment and fingerboard ebony.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    edited October 2020
    I know you've already ordered, but there's a guy in Cairns who builds great 'burst replicas if that's your thing - I absolutely love mine, managed to snag it second hand at a bargain price.  His pickups are great too

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Philly_Q said:

The copyright says 2023!
    I noticed that too.  The guitars look good, he certainly has his own style.
    Ahead of his time you might say... :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    cm01 said:
    I know you've already ordered, but there's a guy in Cairns who builds great 'burst replicas if that's your thing - I absolutely love mine, managed to snag it second hand at a bargain price.  His pickups are great too

That can be my ‘celebrating getting to stay in Oz’ order.... if it happen! Seriously though, DM me his name? You never know down the line. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
    To be fair, £2500 is cheaper than a team built fender cs- it’s a bargain!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am looking at the option of putting a piezo system in. I loved and used my Parker Fly when live. Anyone recommend any systems? I have ordered a Hipshot trem that is ready to take the saddles. Guessing the Graphtech Ghost system is the market leader? Any good?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Australia, original design, hand built by the designer? Hobson's choice. 
    This is the neck block.... :3 <3
    View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Hobson Guitars (@hobsonguitars) on Oct 20, 2020 at 2:25am PDT

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I’ve two custom builds that I commissioned. I love them and think it’s a great decision if you don’t think you will move them on. Sadly, his gallery won’t open on my ipad.

That Strat is lovely - love the colour too!  <3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)