Famous 'home made' guitars - Brian May + EVH

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Cols said:
    Voxman said:
    Cols said:
    That’s Brian May out then, he went and got a set of Burns pickups out of a shop instead of winding them himself.  Bloody amateur.
    Nope, he got them out of an old Burns and completely rewound them to many times the number of windings. So I think we'll give him that one! =) :)

https://www.theredspecial.com/2018/01/brian-may-interview-the-red-specials-original-pickups/

That’s the story of the original attempt at making his own pickups from first principles.  Apparently they sounded good, but didn’t work on bent sites as the magnets had opposing polarities.  He replaced them with store-bought Trisonics as they were the only ones commercially available.

yes he did buy them new from a shop. he did mod them to some extent as he filled them with Araldite
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited October 2020
    phil_b said:
    Cols said:
    Voxman said:
    Cols said:
    That’s Brian May out then, he went and got a set of Burns pickups out of a shop instead of winding them himself.  Bloody amateur.
    Nope, he got them out of an old Burns and completely rewound them to many times the number of windings. So I think we'll give him that one!

https://www.theredspecial.com/2018/01/brian-may-interview-the-red-specials-original-pickups/

That’s the story of the original attempt at making his own pickups from first principles.  Apparently they sounded good, but didn’t work on bent sites as the magnets had opposing polarities.  He replaced them with store-bought Trisonics as they were the only ones commercially available.

yes he did buy them new from a shop. he did mod them to some extent as he filled them with Araldite
    Interesting.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom