Gas for 335..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    edited October 2020
    So, the 335 seems to check out. Before, I make the trip to go see it, I just wondered what kind of neck it has. My only other Gibby was a 339 Studio that gave me insane hand cramp - presumably because it wasn't chunky enough to fill my hand comfortably.
    I'm looking for a 335 with a beefier neck. Any suggestions?
    I've also been looking at a 1963 reissue (2014), and a Heritage 535. All around  the same price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    edited October 2020
    So, the 335 seems to check out. Before, I make the trip to go see it, I just wondered what kind of neck it has. My only other Gibby was a 339 Studio that gave me insane hand cramp - presumably because it wasn't chunky enough to fill my hand comfortably.
    I'm looking for a 335 with a beefier neck. Any suggestions?
    I've also been looking at a 1963 reissue (2014), and a Heritage 535. All around  the same price. 
    I think the one you’re looking at is a Dot Reisue and they have very slim necks in my experience. The 63 will have a slim neck as well I believe, possibly not as slim as the Dot Reissue though. The 535 I owned recently had a lovely neck, reasonable chunky, not quite as chunky as a Gibson 59 neck but a decent handful and very comfortable. I’d have expected the 63 to be the most expensive, then the DR, and the Heritage the cheapest; in the UK that would be the case anyway. Good luck.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I have a dot reissue from roughly the same year, the neck is very slim. Not uncomfortably so, but if you are looking for a beefy one, this isn't it...
  • I have a Memphis made 335 from about 2 years later. Not sure if the carve would have evolved significantly in that time, but despite being described as "slim taper" it doesn't quite feel like that. I have an SG standard with a slim taper that is definitely thinner (and flatter).

I would describe the 335 one as more of a rounded profile. Not as chunky as a 58-59 style for sure, but I would put it more in a "rounded C" camp. To me it's a good Goldilocks compromise.

Not sure how variance there would be from one year to the next though!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited October 2020
    The specs for the 2015 1963 reissue are:

Fret 1 - .800”

Fret 12- 1.000”

I think it’s a nice profile and would have a good look at that ‘63 if it’s the same price.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    The specs for the 2015 1963 reissue are:

Fret 1 - .800”

Fret 12- 1.000”

I think it’s a nice profile and would have a good look at that ‘63 if it’s the same price.
    I checked it out. The neck felt pretty good,  but sadly the guitar was in poor condition and he wouldn't budge on the price.  The search continues..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A pre buyout heritage, up to early 2000s made by the same guys that were working at Gibson in the late 50s and 60s is probably a good buy. 
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    edited October 2020
    A pre buyout heritage, up to early 2000s made by the same guys that were working at Gibson in the late 50s and 60s is probably a good buy. 
    I am considering the H535, but I just wonder about the resale value.  Gibsons seem to hold their value very well in the used market.  Is it the same for Heritage? 
    Edit: A local seller has both a 1995 and a 2017 model for sale. 

• A pre buyout heritage, up to early 2000s made by the same guys that were working at Gibson in the late 50s and 60s is probably a good buy. 
    I am considering the H535, but I just wonder about the resale value.  Gibsons seem to hold their value very well in the used market.  Is it the same for Heritage? 
    Depends at how much you buy it for. A couple nice ones have sold recently in the Uk that were asking £1700-1800. That’s nearing nice dot money. The fact it was made by the same guys who made the ‘good ones’ I think has some value over what’s written on the headstock. 
    Depends at how much you buy it for. A couple nice ones have sold recently in the Uk that were asking £1700-1800. That’s nearing nice dot money. The fact it was made by the same guys who made the ‘good ones’ I think has some value over what’s written on the headstock. 
    He is asking around 1,600 quid for the 2017, and 1,500 quid for the 1995 model 
    Is probably go for the 95 depending on condition. Presumably it has the Schaller hardware?
    Is probably go for the 95 depending on condition. Presumably it has the Schaller hardware?
    Looks like Grover. I'll post a link to the ad. It's in Korean but you should be able to see the pics.
    https://www.mule.co.kr/bbs/market/sell?idx=54061931&page=1&map=list&mode=list&region=&start_price=&end_price=&qf=title&qs=535&category=&ct1=&ct2=&ct3=&store=&options=&soldout=&sido=&gugun=&dong=&period=6&of=wdate&od=desc&v=v
    Looks like Grover. I'll post a link to the ad. It's in Korean but you should be able to see the pics.
    https://www.mule.co.kr/bbs/market/sell?idx=54061931&page=1&map=list&mode=list&region=&start_price=&end_price=&qf=title&qs=535&category=&ct1=&ct2=&ct3=&store=&options=&soldout=&sido=&gugun=&dong=&period=6&of=wdate&od=desc&v=v
    That is a nice looking guitar. Yes, Schaller bridge and tailpiece which looks a bit less ‘traditional’. Later ones had Nashville type bridge and tailpiece with Seth lover pickups. 

• danishbacon, do you know what the neck profile is on the 1995?
    No idea, sorry
    No idea, sorry
    Thanks, anyway!
  • So, I've been perusing the local ads. I'm now looking at a 2011 cherry model. It has a Dot Neck. Is that the more rounded C profile that Gibson makes?
    You think people worked at heritage for over 50 years? 
    You think people worked at heritage for over 50 years? 
    Marvin lamb started working at Gibson in 1958. He was walked out by current owners sometime in 2010s along with a handful of old timers. It’s not unusual to work into your 70s in US. 

Check out the average age of shop floor staff in 2010:

https://youtu.be/HmVtZwidQ2E

vs post buyout, filmed 2018

https://youtu.be/MNt0qqgHodI