My recent efforts

What's Hot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190528855@N04/50431051333/ ;

I was lucky enough to get hold of some 100 year old mahogany (1" thick and approx 9' x4') when the local school replaced their physics lab workbench, so I made these.  They all have mahogany backs with some chambering to reduce weight.  From the left the tops are: French white oak; plain ash; African idigbo.  The neck on the green guitar is made from the same piece of mahogany, the others are maple.  The second knob on the guitar on the left is actually a rotary pickup selector (I don't like tone knobs).
They all turned out pretty well but the one on the right (home-made P90's) is the one I always reach for first. Here's a picture of the back of that guitar:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190528855@N04/50431756611/ ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Very nice work my friend.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Great - thanks for sharing these. Nice work. 

What finish did you use on the Idigbo?  I've done a couple of Idigbo bodies so far and have used Danish Oil slurry finishing with wax top coats after reading Wez's threads here. 

Like the sound of that 100-year old mahogany. I was lucky to get hold of some similar stuff from a library - enough for about 10 necks or so. 

What are you going to do next ? 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    I had loads of mahogany from an old school library

you do have to be careful with those science lab benches as Iroko became more common than mahogany, and its nowhere near as nice to work with.   =
  • GuitarlarkyGuitarlarky Frets: 4
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for all the interest.  The finish on all three of those is....Rustin's Plastic Coating.
    It's a brush-on resin type of finish supposedly designed for domestic use.  I can use it in my garage without needing special applicators or breathing apparatus - I am allergic to nitro-cellulose.  It does take quite a bit of wet sanding though.
    I'm currently using the last bit of Mahogany to attempt a left-handed build for a friend.  Everything is upside-down and back to front so it's quite a challenge!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    Rustins plastic coating  is far from non-toxic, at least until its cured.   I used to use it a lot for brush on finishes and it is possible to get great results with it.

I used to do it in my spare room, which was daft.
  • Hi WezV - thanks for the warning.  I use it with the doors and windows open as it does smell a bit when applying.  Just checked and you're quite right, the Toy Safety compliance is only once it's cured (5-7 days).  The hardener in particular seems a bit nasty in it's liquid form.
    I've edited my post.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    Nice 
    As said Plasticote is pretty bad for you but think I used it without a mask back in the day it was pretty popular as a good finish for amateur builds. One of its claims to fame was it said on the packet it would crack or yellow no good for guitars these days they all want them cracked and yellow LOL