Cover Challenge #11 Voting

This is the vote for the 11th fretboard cover challenge. There was a great response with a seriously high standard for this one. All the fantastic entries can be found in the following playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-11-love-potion

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Sunday 11th October

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I have no idea how I'm going to narrow it down to 3. They are all brilliant
  • Agreed, this was really tough. I've been listening to the entries alot since we started and here are mine:

5 Points : @stratman3142 : This was an exceptional cover with some beautiful guitar work. I loved the way it sounded like a lap steel guitar in some places. The programmed instruments were not so simple as to be boring and not so complicated to ruin the nature of the track, they were also pretty convincingly realistic which is something I always find really difficult to pull off, so fair play for that! I'd like to see this on Spotify so I can listen to it on the go.

3 Points : @poopot a great take on the original. I think with cover competitions the temptation is there to "flip the mood" to differentiate the track from the original (this is what I do every.single.time). I like the way you took the original track, which despite the relatively dark subject matter, is quite upbeat and doubled down on the upbeatness. As usual, the instruments sound great and the overall track is well produced. If this came on at 2am in the club I would make a holy show of myself on the dancefloor.

1 Point: @sticker : Really enjoyed your take on this, great virtual instrument use and tasty playing. I haven't been in a lift in about 8 months due to COVID but your track took me right back to the good old days of traveling from the carpark of the local shopping centre to the second floor.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... I’ve listened to all of them a lot as they end up on my phones iTunes as they are sent in... It takes the piss how good the entries are this month... really tough to choose so I’m going with my mood today... tomorrow would prolly be a different vote as will the day after that... but:

5pts @markblack - really like this, love the lofi feel to it... straight out of a Tarantino film...

3pts @stratman3142 - excellent guitar work... cocktails on the terrace darling!...

1pt @IMC1980 - my heart sinks every bloody time you send one in, always a banger!...

All of the entries were cracking tho’ not a bad one in there... 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    some fine entries - but here's my top 3

5pt: @StephenB ;

3pt: @IMC1980

1pt: @Sticker

Mark
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Had to listen through the playlist twice as there were some close calls and all of them are worthy of being in the top three. Unfortunately that's not possible, so:

5 points @markblack - loved this! Your version reminds me of José Gonzalez's Far Away and has the same style of production. Fantastic!

3 points @stratman3142 - very cool, those walking jazz beats always hook me in and your lead lines on the edge of breakup fit perfectly. 

1 point @flying_pie - nailed the ACDC vibe in my opinion, great composition and full marks for the vocal performance, it sounded like it hurt!

Well done everyone else, like others have said, on a different day or in a different mood, my top three could be anyone.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    As already said all great entries this time around , difficult to choose a top 5 let alone top 3 , but here goes....

5 points to @StephenB ; - reminded me of the kind of track you’d hear in Buffy/Charmed/True Blood when some kiss/sexy stuff was about to go down ... Liked the use of the sample too . 

3 points to @markblack - loved the lo-fi Delta vibe , all the right sounds for the feeling of the track. 

1 point to @flying_pie - totally got the AC/DC feeling spot on , the guitar parts complemented each other brilliantly. 

Well done to everyone, really good stuff , not a duff track in the list ! 

• All great entries. I'm going for the dark and moody styles for the first two. On a different day my choices might be different.

5 points: @StephenB: Atmospheric. Sounds like the type of track that might be used in Peaky Blinders

3 points: @markblack: Swamp blues. Another atmospheric track

1 point: @IMC1980: A great out and out rocker

It's not a competition.
    So tough but I'll go with

5 points @StephenB wonderfully most and very atmospheric

3 points @sticker for the best name and concept (and a great track too)

1 point @poopot for Uncle S on blazing form

Sorry to the others. It feels criminal leaving them out
    IMC1980 said:

full marks for the vocal performance, it sounded like it hurt!

It actually didn't hurt. I think I'm getting used to that style of singing now having done so many rock/metal cheers. Perhaps I should do a musical theatre style soon to remind my voice how to sing cleanly
    Voting closed