What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265
Lovely:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4135
    edited October 2020
    Purdy!

I liked that chord he played at the very end too. No idea what it was, but sounds good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265
    edited October 2020
    Purdy!

I liked that chord he played at the very end too. No idea what it was is, but sounds good!
    Yeah, really nice tune, i'm going to learn it.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Admittedly there are bad ones with cheap covers which dull the tone, but I've never understood why they're so unpopular in general... a good one sounds at least as nice as a Strat neck pickup, to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • very evocative of Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited October 2020
    I'm a big fan of the Tele neck pickup tone, maybe more so than a strat as I don't find it as generic/cliche a sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I recently acquired a tele with bare knuckle country boys in, with the intention of putting a humbucker in the neck but I love the neck pickup, gives me all the frusciante type tones I had a strat for.
  • Was a hard one for me to get right but an Oil City Liquidator has done the trick.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    I’ve had more Teles where I didn’t like it then Teles where I have. But when it was good, it was great. Possibly could have spent more time playing with the heights or the pots or whatever on the ones that weren’t that amazing but since the perceived wisdom is that it isn’t that great anyway then I think I just never bothered. 
  • thatguyovertherethatguyoverthere Frets: 12
    edited October 2020
    Julian Lage seems to consistently get a great sound out of his. I find it a compelling argument to buy a Tele now...

https://youtu.be/rhUMUeyrlNY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 700
    Purdy!

I liked that chord he played at the very end too. No idea what it was, but sounds good!
    That’ll be an Emaj9 0-2-4-1-4-0. Lovely indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The problem I find with Tele neck pickups is getting a nice balance with Bridge pickup bite without it being to brittle and then taming the bridge so neck pickup is too dull. 
    Went through loads of pickup configurations on a Tele, but since I used the early 50s wiring with neck blend instead of tone control I’ve never been happier. 
    It probably helps that I bought the House of Tone neck pickup with the top cut on cover. Real clarity at last for me. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Don't know why everyone's so surprised.
    They're brilliant guitars, full stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • He's an excellent player but I can't stand all the neck wiggling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    That chord! Sweet.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    The problem I find with Tele neck pickups is getting a nice balance with Bridge pickup bite without it being to brittle and then taming the bridge so neck pickup is too dull.
    That's exactly why I like Teles, probably best of any of the classic guitars - the pickups are so different. I do sometimes find the bridge too thin, and it's certainly true that a bad neck can be too dull, but when they're right it's brilliant - the bridge being louder and more middy as well as brighter makes it almost like having an overdrive pedal in the guitar.

With pretty much all the other classic guitars I need to fit a hotter bridge pickup to get the same effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1193
    Also the middle position on a tele is usually awesome all around (rhythm or lead)... love this tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3skYmav0w
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The problem I find with Tele neck pickups is getting a nice balance with Bridge pickup bite without it being to brittle and then taming the bridge so neck pickup is too dull.
    That's exactly why I like Teles, probably best of any of the classic guitars - the pickups are so different. I do sometimes find the bridge too thin, and it's certainly true that a bad neck can be too dull, but when they're right it's brilliant - the bridge being louder and more middy as well as brighter makes it almost like having an overdrive pedal in the guitar.

With pretty much all the other classic guitars I need to fit a hotter bridge pickup to get the same effect.
    When it’s right, it really right! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    It’s why I use Wapping Wharf bridge pickup. It’s tapped, so two sounds in one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    i stuck a firebird in the neck, job done for me
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I used mostly neck pickup when I played teles for ten years. They don't flub out under distortion