Tuning regular guitars to C standard?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
edited October 2020 in Guitar
I've tuned to D standard and droppped to E to dropped D (dropped C officially) and guitar held tuning well. I am thinking of going the whole hog, and tuning to C standard. I was going to do it to either a Squier strat or pick up an Epi flying V next year and do it to that.
Flying V would have a shorter scale right? 
With a heavy guage set of strings, tuning down, in theory should be ok. I tuned to D using regular guage stings, so imagine a heavier guage would be fine...? 
If I had the V, I'd play mainly clean as well, just to screw with people's idea of what a V should sound like...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nick13Nick13 Frets: 736
    12 to 60 will give you a similar feel to 10s in E
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I tune to drop C. My guitars now are Fender scale and I use 10-52; when I was gigging all my guitars were 24.75" scale and I used 11s with no problem, so as @Nick1 13 said, 12s should be fine 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Not a V but Hendrix playing clean in C-Standard,

If you tune to D using regular strings then 11s would probably be thick enough, I'd go with 12's though
  • I use Earny Ball Mamouth Slinky 12-62 in c standard on my flying V. sounds the business.
  • Thanks for confirming folks !
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Not a V but Hendrix playing clean in C-Standard,

If you tune to D using regular strings then 11s would probably be thick enough, I'd go with 12's though

I never get tired of that clip.
    Bloody love it!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited October 2020
    11-54 are good for me on my SG in either drop C or C standard. I don't like loads of tension in my strings though, just enough to keep them in tune is ideal. I like 10-52 on a Fender scale for drop C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah the less tension the better so maybe I should try 11s to start with
  • 11s feel good on my SG when tuned right down. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • or go the whole hog and get a Baritone guitar. B is only a semitone off what you're going for.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • or go the whole hog and get a Baritone guitar. B is only a semitone off what you're going for.
    True. Don’t need to spend a lot so could get a baritone neck and stick it on a squier ...
  • 12-56's in drop c feel like 10's in standard for me. If playing in this tuning permanently I'd consider using a 60 gauge on the low string as most of the work is on the lowest string.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    If you use 10s in standard E, 12s will be right for C - 13s for B. If you think about it you already have a 13 tuned to B... it’s just in the second string position :). The only change you need to make is the width of the nut grooves 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom