How do you evaluate new members?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited July 2014
    At the first meeting I always go dressed as the Elephant Man and immediately dismiss anyone who spends more time staring at me than looking at the drummer for cues.
    Slightly unfair IMO. Mr Merrick was famed for his ability to keep rhythm, bang out a paradiddle at a moment's notice, engage with good non-verbal communication and not be a hit with the ladies. Anyone walking into your band would immediately assume that you were the drummer, but having a GWAR day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @Drew_fx ; Shroomz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26916
    I think I've just decided that "evaluating new members" has turned into "let's just do it as a 4-piece".

Never been the only guitarist in a band before...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited July 2014
    I think I've just decided that "evaluating new members" has turned into "let's just do it as a 4-piece".

As fate would have it, I'm pretty much in the same situation.  Our drummer left this week as he's now got a steady gig with a pro Swing/Jazz act, and the way he is arranging his other work/life commitments means he has no more time for originals.  

Our second guitarist was our original drummer and is way more committed,  so despite a lower (but still adequate) skill level I'd far rather have someone who busts their backside to make originals commitments as opposed to someone always looking for paid work.  He almost got thrown out of his house last year for forgetting his g/f's birthday and trying to come to rehearsal.  :))  We let him off for skipping that one...

So for the time being I know the singer is committed so is the drummer, not sure about the bass player but it'll be a while until we get drums back up to speed again.  If the bass player goes we'll just focus on knocking out an album and will worry about re-recruiting once that is done.

I'm reluctant to look for a second guitarist unless we feel it is totally necessary for performing the material.  Plus if it is just me I get to use two cabs right?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17716
    tFB Trader

My last band was a six piece, my new band will be a four piece. 

If I could sing it would be a three piece.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8793
    digitalscream;290435" said:

There's a lot more space, both harmonically and volume wise. It can also put more pressure on the bass to provide the driving rhythm, rather than just sit on the root note. Personally I prefer it. If there has to be a second chordal instrument then I'd rather have keys
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Roland said:
    digitalscream;290435" said:

There's a lot more space, both harmonically and volume wise. It can also put more pressure on the bass to provide the driving rhythm, rather than just sit on the root note. Personally I prefer it. If there has to be a second chordal instrument then I'd rather have keys
    Me too as well now, other guitarist was more annoying than herpes so were currently a four piece which I'm looking forward to trying it to b honest, I too would love a keys player in the band though, opens up so much interesting stuff.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    LOL.  Well careful what you wish for, I tried out for a band that had a Keyboard player who'd fit the 'more annoying than herpes' statement.

First half of the audition was covers, second half was a jam.  And the keys player kept soloing over my solo, so I gave up!  Decided the band wasn't for me.  
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    @digitalscream that's one of the reasons I find it hard to join a band. I got pissed off with the machismo of cocks at dawn guitar solos in previous bands. I just want to make music, not take part in the final act from Crossroads.

I love being the only guitarist, it gives you so much freedom. I'm with you on the lack of driving license point. I had an ad that had "must have driving license" I ended up scrapping that. My solution was to get a smaller car :D Forced my old bassist to get his driving license in time.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Blokes with red hair, are a no-no for me. Never ever got on with one.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.