Questions re repair/resto of an old Fender hardcase

What's Hot
BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
I'm lucky to have an early 60s Strat (players grade).  It has what I assume is an original, brown hard case.  The case is ok but there are a couple of niggles that I keep thinking about trying to fix.

Firstly it reeks of fags.  I've had it lid open to air it out for a couple of weeks.  This seems to be helping....a bit.

Secondly, the wood of the lid is broken around one of the end hinges and possibly the middle hinge too, so the lid is rather floppily attached to the base.  At the moment the damage isn't visible because all the lining and exterior vinyl is intact.

I'm not thinking of rushing to do anything about it any time soon, but I wondered what wisdom folks on here might have.

Is there any sense in trying to fix it?  Or is it likely to affect the value of the guitar/case?

Any chemicals/techniques for reducing the nicotine stink, that aren't going to have a detrimental effect on the materials?

TIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Bicarbonate of soda; leave it in the sunshine outdoors.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    The 'vintage correct' answer is to buy a decent modern case, and keep the old original one in unaltered condition in your loft/wherever. They aren't even great cases - they're quite heavy in relation to the amount of protection they actually give - so if you're going to carry a 60s Strat (even a player grade one) around you probably want a better one anyway. One of the modern moulded type, either shaped or rectangular, or even a very good gig bag, would actually protect it better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom