Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Harley benton LP

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
If you’ve bought a Harley Benton what’s your honest opinion? They look great for the £, stainless frets at that price! 
Thinking of a LP type, the neck joint looks more playable than Gibson. It would be a Christmas present for my brother if things work out. 
I’m not expecting PRS build but would value your input and advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Someone will be along shortly to tell you that with a pickup swap it will rival an R8...

Seriously though, apart from needing a setup or occasionally a fret level, everything I've read about any HB model is that it's a lot of guitar for the money 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    They just released some new LP Specials with twin P90s that look nice.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Someone will be along shortly to tell you that with a pickup swap it will rival an R8...

Seriously though, apart from needing a setup or occasionally a fret level, everything I've read about any HB model is that it's a lot of guitar for the money 
    I kinda remember this thread but never read it....
  • Someone will be along shortly to tell you that with a pickup swap it will rival an R8...

I didn't either, but it was near the top of page 1 for days & days :)

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Is it like a Gibson Historic with more economical pickups?  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    edited October 2020
    I absolutely lust after this  black single cut custom  with a gold floyd rose 1000 in gold and 24 frets it looks fast and sleazy

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_ii_fr_vintage_black.htm
  • I got a candy apple tele 20 for about £85 at Christmas, absolutely can't fault it for the money! Was going to do a review with my ID Core soon.
    Makes all the right sounds, tele quack on the bridge, softer on the neck, mix in-between etc. I'd say if anything, bit of a fret polish, very light file of the edges, nothing out of the ordinary at that price. Lead jack nut is a bit loose so had to tighten that up a few times, also had to raise the pickup at the high e a touch as it was ever so slightly quieter. I'm even still on the original strings after 10 months, rarely needed to retune it either.

I really cant fault it for the price! 
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    Hi, you need a Hondo Lead II. The pickup output is strong, like really strong, ask anyone, the strongest. It was made in China but they were good once, so are we, they maybe need to up their game. The fretboard is smooth, so smooth, I can't believe it. How do they do that ? The finish is gorgeous, I mean, who can fault it, I can't and most people can't either.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I absolutely lust after this  black single cut custom  with a gold floyd rose 1000 in gold and 24 frets it looks fast and sleazy

That's mad, isn't it? Like an EC1000 for less than a third of the money 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    I absolutely lust after this  black single cut custom  with a gold floyd rose 1000 in gold and 24 frets it looks fast and sleazy

That's mad. A new gold FR 1000 is nearly as expensive as the whole guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Someone will be along shortly to tell you that with a pickup swap it will rival an R8...

Lucky...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    Whats this about turning an Audi R8 into a pickup .? Is that to carry the Harley?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 807
    BlueStrat said:
    If you’ve bought a Harley Benton what’s your honest opinion? They look great for the £, stainless frets at that price! 
    Thinking of a LP type, the neck joint looks more playable than Gibson. It would be a Christmas present for my brother if things work out. 
    Do also look at the Vintage V100 guitars. The quality of these guitars is excellent.

How about this Vintage V100CS? :-   https://www.scan.co.uk/products/vintage-v100-reissued-electric-guitar-mahogany-body-mahogany-set-neck-wilkinson-pickups-cherry-sunbu

They were sold for £279, but I noticed that the prices for some finishes have gone up to £329 and more. You need to phone SCAN for the latest price of the Cherry Sunburst finish.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/music-and-pro-audio/guitars/solidbody-electric-guitars

SCAN do a quality check and setup of their guitars before sending them out, so you will get an instrument which is playable straight out of the box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktron said:
    BlueStrat said:
    Do also look at the Vintage V100 guitars. The quality of these guitars is excellent.

How about this Vintage V100CS? :-   https://www.scan.co.uk/products/vintage-v100-reissued-electric-guitar-mahogany-body-mahogany-set-neck-wilkinson-pickups-cherry-sunbu

They were sold for £279, but I noticed that the prices for some finishes have gone up to £329 and more. You need to phone SCAN for the latest price of the Cherry Sunburst finish.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/music-and-pro-audio/guitars/solidbody-electric-guitars

SCAN do a quality check and setup of their guitars before sending them out, so you will get an instrument which is playable straight out of the box.
    I have a Vintage V100 ( albeit with upgraded pickups and wiring) and it’s an amazing guitar for the money. It sounds and plays way above it’s  price. 
  • rocktron said:
    BlueStrat said:

I have a Vintage V100 ( albeit with upgraded pickups and wiring) and it’s an amazing guitar for the money. It sounds and plays way above it’s  price. 
    I had one years ago that I bought from eBay after a neck repair. It was great, and it looked excellent too. Can't remember why I sold it now; I remember it being really heavy, maybe it was that...

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited October 2020
    I’ve got three HB vintage plus LP style guitars Lemon top Black with gold hardware and a sunburst.
    I love the coil splitting facility.
    All are fabulous quality guitars.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I forgot to add I remove the pick guards from mine because I think they look better without.
    Something I do straightaway because the bracket fixing under the plate will mark the body .
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Thanks for posting the pics, they look really great and not cheap at all. 
    Amazing what you can get for your money buying direct with no middle man. 
    Have you played one of their 339 type guitars?
    edited October 2020
    Do you mean one of these ?

Harley Benton HB-35Plus Vintage Burst

We have a lemon top version also we wanted another Lemon but they are always out of stock.
    Again I remove the pick guards because they are  horrible and the guitar looks better without.
    I also love the push pull coil splitting facility on these guitars.
    Gives one more options.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13748

I didn't either, but it was near the top of page 1 for days & days :)

It was great fun, it really was.  We should start another ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom