NGD: 1987 Gibson SG Elite

What's Hot
CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 281
edited October 2020 in Guitar
My first new guitar of 2020. A 1987 Gibson SG Elite. I first saw this guitar in a guitar shop in Liverpool in May 2019, but as the shop was about to close, I did not try it. It was the colour that intrigued me as I have a copper Fender Telecaster and had never seen a "copper" Gibson. There was no price tags or anything on any of the guitars identifying what they were which is something that annoys me anyway in a shop, so I probably would not have tried it out anyway. 

I did some "research" and discovered it was a Gibson SG Elite which was only produced between 1987 and 1989 and only in two colours: Pearl White and Metallic Sunset. The one I had seen was a metallic sunset which would originally have been a pink/purple colour but had turned copper due to a yellowing of the clear coat. I also found out that it would originally have had a TP6 fine tuning tailpiece and a Kahler Deluxe string lock. Both had been removed.

Fast forward a 16 months and I decided to post on this forum that I was after one of these. Coincidentally, one came up on eBay a matter of days later and some helpful forum members pointed me in its direction.

That was a couple of weeks ago and since, I've managed to source the missing parts to 'restore' it back to original spec. It came with the original protector hard case.

So far, I'm very happy with it. I installed the locking nut today and although it has now made it neck heavy and the feel of the strings tighter when bending, the sustain seems to have been increased making it sound and feel better to me. Unsurprisingly, it stays in tune brilliantly, although changing strings is a hassle.

I love the quirkiness of this guitar. Lots of random features just seemingly thrown together on this model making it unique. As well as those already described, it has a coil split switch in place of the second tone control and I really like the split sound for cleans. It also has block inlays and ebony board like a custom but an unbound headstock and gold hardware.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• image image
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    What a great story and I love the colour, especially as it has morphed into it. SGs were my first love and I have to say, this is gorgeous and as you say quirky. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    Flipping love it.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3431
    That’s awesome! What a looker!
    HNGD.
  • Thanks all! The more I play it, the happier I am with it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20596
    Absolutely lovely... and that's just the Protector case  ;)
    All kinds of 'that won't work'  ideas in there, but instead it looks really great. Enjoy.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Nice! Thats pretty much rose gold!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265
    Lovely colour, really nice. The locking nut and tailpiece look little clunky but do add to the unique character and sets it apart from "just another '61 cherry red style SG".

What are the pickups? how do they sound?

• MattPMattP Frets: 270
    It sounds pretty good too - but then so does most stuff when you’re playing it!

Didnt know you were on tfb mate; good to see you!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Looks cool! 
  • Nice little story and one hell of a guitar. congrats!
  • MattP said:
    It sounds pretty good too - but then so does most stuff when you’re playing it!

Didnt know you were on tfb mate; good to see you!

Hello! Very kind of you. Yes, only for the past month or so. It's a bit dangerous though as lots of good gear in the classifieds!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Looks about 20 foot long on my iPad!
  • Sassafras said:
    Looks about 20 foot long on my iPad!

You should see my other guitars!

• I'll work out how to upload images here properly one day!