Single pickup strat (middle or neck). Crazy idea?

What's Hot
I hope I have the right section. If not, I'll move it. I have a Squier HSS Affinity hardtail strat body lying around at home (far away at the moment) and I replaced the pickguard with a single H bridge pickguard and 1 volume pot, so had been using it as that setup for a while.
I had a strat years ago and mainly just used middle or neck only pickups. Never bothered much with the bridge pickup.
So I was thinking of getting another pickguard, but putting the middle pickup only there (maybe something hot). 
Crazy idea? It would probably look weird. Went through the Warmoth mockup and it might not look so bad. Neck strat only might work too, but middle might be more neutral sounding. May combine with a baritone neck if I can find one used, so I'd have a neutral sounding baritone...
There's probably a reason this hasn't been done before though....
Crazy idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited October 2020
    I saw one guy on yotube and his strat had a Gibson humbucker fitted in a position that was between the middle and neck and he was rather pleased with the sound
  • @phil_b cheers, I'll have a look. Preferably if it was a drop in solution, it would be great! I have a Dano U1 and pickup looks to be, as you mentioned, between neck and middle, maybe that's the sweey spot for this kind of set up...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    One pickup in the centre position? Good enough for Ry Cooder.

If you like the single H idea and you like the single S idea, it is possible to combine the two into a single pickguard assembly by having three DPDT switches rather than a lever/blade selector.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • One pickup in the centre position? Good enough for Ry Cooder.

If you like the single H idea and you like the single S idea, it is possible to combine the two into a single pickguard assembly by having three DPDT switches rather than a lever/blade selector.
    Do you mean H in the bridge, and either a single in the middle or neck?
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

link to the videos. the guy is a bit of a cork sniffer but the playing starts about 7:20

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470

Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group etc.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Wasn’t one of the Strats SRV got from Charley Wirz wired with a single neck pickup ?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited October 2020
    I have a fidelity on the way in the future with a neck only so might go for a middle only with the squier body. Perhaps a stray sized HB or P90. Something with a bit more poke than a regular strat single coil.
    Also the option to have a slanted middle pickup only might work too.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Does the Affinity Strat body have a “Swimming Pool” route ? not that it’s a massive effort to open it up a bit if not but it’s just that you have said you were looking for a drop in solution ?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited October 2020
    @DrBob I don’t think it does. I see the likes of Lace Sensor have specialized or recommended middle pickups ( silver or light blue ) but an Iron Gear humbucker single coil might do the trick if I use the affinity body.
  • @DrBob I don’t think it does. I see the likes of Lace Sensor have specialized or recommended middle pickups ( silver or light blue ) but an Iron Gear humbucker single coil might do the trick if I use the affinity body.

Or go with an Oil City Brass Knuckle, which could then be split for 2 different flavours. A Lace Dually would do that too.
  • Gonna try and keep it a drop in job if possible 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    It's not a look I could love.
  • axisus said:
    It's not a look I could love.
    I know but hey worth a shot !
    ICBM said:

That is, in effect, a 25.5" scale Bronco or Musicmaster. 

Lace Sensor ... silver or light blue
    The Silver has a fair bit more midrange than a vintage style Stratocaster pickup - a bit like a Clapton Strat with its midrange boost always partially dialled in.

The sound of the Light Blue varies according to position. In the neck position, it is a halfway house between a humbucker and a single coil. In the bridge position, it is almost like a Telecaster.

IMO, the Emerald does a nicer Strat sound than the Gold Sensor. The Burgundy sensor is supposed to sound a bit like a P90 but doesn't. On the other hand, its output level and tone might fit the brief. 

My choice would be a Red sensor and a high quality audio taper volume pot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Funkfingers Thanks for the advice. I will look into the Red Sensor. Had one in a tele years ago, and sounded pretty good. I'm not necessarily looking for a strat sound with this, it just so happens I have a strat body, and it would be an easy platform to try.
  • Also, would a string through/trem strat v hardtail make a difference when it comes to using alternative tunings and so on?
    Hardtail bodies seem to be harder to come across in the parts market, and I'd just as easily use a trem strat body (though wouldn't use the trem much to be honest), but regular trem bodies are easier to come across.
    Just thinking about that, as the affinity body would be "bottom of the line"...
    Changing tunings will affect the string tension load on a fulcrum vibrato bridge. The only surefire way to prevent shifting is to physically block off the vibrato with a piece of wood shaped to fit.

Replica hardtail Stratocaster bodies seem to have been on the increase this year. Check the clearance section web pages of online sellers for bargains. Many of these will be unfinished. This gives you the option to alter the routed cavities and choose where some of the screw holes will be drilled.

The Affinity guitar body is "bottom of the line" in the sense that it is manufactured, in bulk quantities, in a factory with lower than average overheads. Personally, I would rather have a skinny Affinity STRAT body made from a mystery Asian wood than anything full thickness made from poplar. 

In your position, I would stick with the Squier Affinity body but modify it for either through body stringing or some front-mounted vibrato. (Kahler, Washburn, Wigsby et cetera.)
  • @Funkfingers Thanks again for the advice and info there. Much appreciated! I had a quick look and there are some hardtail string through bodies knocking around online, so might consider one. But will work with what I have for now. It's all stored in another country for now, and I can't get back there, so it'll have to wait either way!